Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 11:08 PM

Default There\'s Nothing to Post About

That's what I've been told about this hand. But, well, I'm bored so I'll post it.

Charged up live 40-80 Hold Em game. A tight player raises under the gun. Three people coldcall. I call in the cutoff with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The BB, a solid but not over-the-top aggro pro, also calls.

The flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Not bad. BB checks, UTG bets, one caller, I raise. It's folded to the BB who now takes the action to three-bets. UTG then caps the betting. The limper folds and I call to the obvious frustration of the UTG player. The BB also calls.

The turn brings the 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB now leads out, UTG calls, I call.

The river brings the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB bets, UTG mucks in frustration. Your action.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: There\'s Nothing to Post About

i must have misread something, because i can't think of any reason why this isn't a raise. the real question is what to do if 3bet.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i must have misread something, because i can't think of any reason why this isn't a raise. the real question is what to do if 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose if 3-bet and I don't think a human alive can fold. This is a call.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You lose if 3-bet and I don't think a human alive can fold. This is a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Why risk 3BBs to win 1.5 (assuming he calls the raise 50% of the time)?

The guy played this hand like 75. On every street. I mean yeah he also played it like a set, but if I had 75 I'd play it similar to the way he did. CALL. (But there is something to post about -- Jeff; it's closer than you might think even if it is a call).
Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he has a big hand here and is calling the raise close to 100% of the time when he doesn't have 75. if he's calling the raise only 50% of the time, you're not bluffing nearly enough.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The guy played this hand like 75. On every street. I mean yeah he also played it like a set, but if I had 75 I'd play it similar to the way he did. CALL. (But there is something to post about -- Jeff; it's closer than you might think even if it is a call).

[/ QUOTE ]

He calls almost every time because of the size of the pot, and unless he defends with 57off every time, there are more set combos in his range than there are 7 high straight combos.

You cant fold to a 3bet because he will 3bet you with hands that chop knowing that you NEVER have a 7 high straight. He could be pulling this with other pair+draw combo hands like 56s, 35s or 45s. Or he could have defended with 52s. And that's before you factor in the possibility of erratic play, or misreads of the board. Folding to a 3bet is absurd.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he has a big hand here and is calling the raise close to 100% of the time when he doesn't have 75.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to go to work so I don't have time to get to all these posts. But this is where I think you may be wrong - I think, if he had a set, he would lay it down some portion of the time to my raise (and not an insignificant percentage). But I just don't think he's betting the river with a set here - that was my gut feeling. That's why maybe there is "nothing to post about" since I'm the one there, etc. But I don't think it's a given he pays off a raise with less than the same hand I have. And I think it is FAR from a given that he will bet a set here - again, maybe you have to be there. Good thread. Results later.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose if 3-bet and I don't think a human alive can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i could. but then everyone here would yell at me.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 PM

You've rivered most of his range. 75s makes up only three combos. Raise-call.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:34 PM

What in his range still bets the river? What do you think he puts me on after cold-calling preflop, raising the flop and calling the cap, then just calling the turn? If he reraises, what percentage of the time would you say I am being pushed any money?

Jeff