Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Plz help me pick the right stakes to play

Sry, I know this post is lame, but I know almost nothing about live play. I'm going to Vegas this Saturday, n I just wanna have some idea of what stakes i should shoot for.

I play 2/4NL and 3/6NL heads up games online.

A) I have very limited live experience.
B) I have very limited experience playing with more than 5 opponents.

Given these, I prolly shouldn't just jump into higher stakes, but at the same time, I don't really want to grind lame stakes.

Also, I'm only willing to lose 2 grand...but I mean obviously I'm asking this with the intention of figuring out stakes that I'd have a good chance at winning at.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Plz help me pick the right stakes to play

If you wanna play limit, play 15/30 or 20/40 if you wanna play no limit, your options are limitless.... (get it?) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 03:33 AM

i wanna play No Limit.

i dunno how to play minbet.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:35 AM

2-5
Old 02-22-2007, 03:44 AM

Probably the lowest stakes available for a while until you grow accustomed to full ring games. Or else, practice play ing a bit of online FR NL10 which roughly simulates live $2-5, maybe even higher live games.

Against bad opponents playing full ring like it's heads up WILL get you in trouble. There will be people playing 60% of their hands, maybe even people raising 60% of their hands, but they're not the ones you want to emulate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 AM

lolz play 2/5+, make mad monies....play relatively straight forward and be amazed at how awful ppl play live.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sry, I know this post is lame, but I know almost nothing about live play. I'm going to Vegas this Saturday, n I just wanna have some idea of what stakes i should shoot for.

I play 2/4NL and 3/6NL heads up games online.

A) I have very limited live experience.
B) I have very limited experience playing with more than 5 opponents.

Given these, I prolly shouldn't just jump into higher stakes, but at the same time, I don't really want to grind lame stakes.

Also, I'm only willing to lose 2 grand...but I mean obviously I'm asking this with the intention of figuring out stakes that I'd have a good chance at winning at.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is how deep do you normally play when you play either 2/4NL or 3/6NL online..in either case judging that you only have 2000(you are willing to lose) i wouldnt go above 2/5NL until you had around 15k. I highly recommend you reading some of the threads about bankroll management though because it suprises me you are playin 2/4 and 3/6 online heads up with only 2k to lose....generally speaking you should have 20-30 max buyins at whatever stakes you play, which at 2/4 - 3/6 would be around 10k.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Start at 1/2, move up aggressively until you find the game that is the right blend of moderate challenge and decent profit.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM

The rule of thumb I have learned for live play is you want your bankroll to be at least ten buy-ins, with a buy-in being 100 BB. In theory, this should allow you to absorb some variance (or bad play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and keep on going. You have 2 grand, which is enough for 10 buys at 1/2 nl. Since you play higher online, i think it would be worth stabbing at a 2/5 game, buying for 500 or so, to start out, and see how it goes. If it doesnt go so well, you have plenty left to throttle back to 1/2. If it goes good, stay there and make tons of moneys!!!!

The 1/2 games are very rewarding (if you can avoid suckouts) so don't feel ashamed to play those.

Edit: the rule of thumb posted in the small stakes sticky for online is 100 buy ins, or 20,000 for 1/2.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The question is how deep do you normally play when you play either 2/4NL or 3/6NL online..in either case judging that you only have 2000(you are willing to lose) i wouldnt go above 2/5NL until you had around 15k. I highly recommend you reading some of the threads about bankroll management though because it suprises me you are playin 2/4 and 3/6 online heads up with only 2k to lose....generally speaking you should have 20-30 max buyins at whatever stakes you play, which at 2/4 - 3/6 would be around 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying this is the case, but it's likely he has a online roll that is respectable for his limits. It's just that playing in an unfamiliar setting he's willing to write off 2k for the live experience/vegas trip. I know when I go to AC, I take about 600 to play for the night. That's not my BR, just what I'm willing to lose in one night playing live.

As said, I'd probably start at 1/2. Once I felt comfortable or ran decent, try out the 2/5 game. I wouldn't go above 2/5 though w/ only 2k to play.