Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Best Resort in Hawaii?

Hey all,

If you have anything to share on this topic, please take a minute to respond, because I need some help... I'm going to Hawaii on my honeymoon this summer and have been trying to figure out the perfect place to stay. Basically, we're looking for a higher end resort that ideally offers:

- a great ocean view & beach
- some level of seclusion (even just a private patio would be fine)
- a non-touristy feel (i.e. few screaming kids and no huge crowds)
- located on the Big Island or Maui

From my research to this point, I have it narrowed down to:

- Four Seasons Hualalai (Big Island)
- Four Seasons Maui
- Fairmont Kea Lani (Maui)
- Grand Wailea (Maui)

Leaning toward Maui because it seems more condusive to snorkel, sightseeing, etc., but I feel like the Four Seasons on the Big Island is clearly the best hotel for what we're looking for, so I'm a little torn...

So, I thought I would consult the OOT ballas who had actually been to these places and could share some insight. All thoughts (including those about Hawaii in general) are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

PS I'd say my limit is $1000/night; so, private 3-bedroom beachfront villas are probably out...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Best Resort in Hawaii?

Look up the Princeville Resort in Kauai. I promise you won't be disappointed.

The Grand Wailea and Hale Koa were also nice looking places when I went. I was there in late January -- you won't want to leave. Make sure you take your bride up to Haleakala Crater at sunrise.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM

four seasons maui is beautiful. grand wailea maui is more a family type place, it's pretty extravagant but you'll prob see more kids there. i've snuck onto the Hualalai 4 seasons and it's on the high-end of resorts.

one thing about the big island is that it is a big piece of volcanic rock. the fishing in kona is pretty good and if you're lucky you'll snag a couple 30-40 lbs ahis and maybe a marlin. you can go hike or helicopter to the volcanos and if the volcanoes are going off, it's pretty cool. you can also hike into other than that, big island is very country and more rural feeling than maui. it's also huge so if you want to get around the island, it's gonna be a drive, altho nothing like LA. i recommend a hike/2 day trip into waipio valley if you have the time.

maui is also very country but not as rural. there are towns, people, and the rush-hour traffic is brutal. plenty of ocean activites (scuba, fish, snorkel, ocean kayak, surf, windsurf) as well as stuff to do on land . .hiking, golf, sightsee. you can also take a ferry to lana'i and go hang out at the lodge at koele or the other resort by the sea, which the name i forget. plenty of day hikes in maui and lots of restaurants as well that cater to tourists. lots more infrastructure there compared to the big island but it'll feel like country when you compare to honolulu or a city on the mainland.

if you're staying on one island for the whole trip, i'd go with maui.

one more darkhorse contender for the trip: Princeville in Hanalei, Kauai. it's isolated, in greeen and lush hanalei. not much to do at night. but the resort sits above a bay on the north shore in kauai and they cater to couples who want to kind of get away from the urban life. awesome and the scenery is the stereotype of Hawaii. blue water, green mountains.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Kea Lani is pretty great. I've stayed there on a number of occasions. If you are really balla then you'll get one of the private villas with your own little pool.

The Fairmont orchid on the big island is also quite nice. I stayed there for my honeymoon just last year.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 PM

I dunno which is best, but I'm at LAX waiting for my Kona flight for two weeks at the Mauna Lani. It may not be the most awesome, but it is the most phallic.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Four Seasons Hualalai is top notch.... several good restaurants (one right on the beach, tho the one above the Clubhouse is better IMO), very nice golf course..... beautiful views, poolside service ..... I think it was ~ 10K for a week ????

just my .02 .... peace, mondo
Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 PM

It doesn't fit the Maui/Big Island criteria - but, I think it fits the rest of your criteria well:

http://www.fourseasons.com/manelebay/

Of course, Lanai is much less developed, so, if you need a substantial population center nearby it may not be right.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:47 PM

The Grand Wailea is awesome, that would be my recommendation. There's a really good sushi restaurant there. Plus the Shops at Wailea should keep your wife happy. Everything is so close on Maui that you shouldn't let the fact that it looks out of the way on a map deter you. Definitely go to Maui though, you won't regret it.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 PM

my favorite is the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 PM

Trust me on this, from the description you gave you want to go to the Kona Village Resort. It used to be very seculded until they built the Four Seasons Hualalai next door, it has everything you mentioned, except your own grass shack will only have 2 rooms not 3. It is just over your $1,000/ day budget, but meals are included in the price. After that it sounds like you might like the Sea Ranch Cottages at the Hotel Hana Maui. Seriously, don't do anything until you google these.

Aloha, Reckless

PS let me know if you want to get in a game while you are here.