Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Default For atheists....how?

Recently I have become agnosticish, but I am deeply trying to hold on to what I do believe. The only reason for this is that the thought of not existing after death TERRIFIES me. It's probably my biggest fear. Just imagining not seeing, hearing, or THINKING gives me a panic attack. So my question for you all is how do you deal with this? I can't believe that the petty things I do and will do on earth is all that I can every do, is this the standard thought? Am I missing something? Are things like reincarnation considered reasonable in atheism? Set me straight guys, preach away. If this a dumb post have mercy on my soul [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: For atheists....how?

Im not an Athiest, but it wouldnt make sense to just die and cease to exist anymore, does it?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not an Athiest, but it wouldnt make sense to just die and cease to exist anymore, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't make sense? What does that mean? Like, if I was the guy designing reality? Or 'if we polled 100 Americans?'
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the hell does this mean? Are you the same guy that doesn't understand why "this being your only life" would induce someone to try to live it for as long as they can, instead of killing themselves?

And, um, it makes perfect sense for something that isn't alive to not be alive.

To the OP:

I think my biggest "regret" is that I'd like to live more in the universe that I can imagine than the one that presently exists. I think we'll get there at some point, but not before I'm gone. That makes me very very sad sometimes, but I get over it and do what I can to get us there.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah the old, "I can't imagine not living forever, therefore I must live forever" argument. I think most of the world's religions have this reasoning to thank for their existence.

To the OP: knowledge of our own mortality can immobilize with fear or it can motivate you to make the most of the small amount of time we have. Once you're dead you will not know you are dead so it is not worth worrying about it. And as someone else mentioned, it is a fear that (ironically) decreases the older you get.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does it not make sense?? Your body stops working the way it did before, your heart doesn't pump, your brain doesn't shoot electric impulses around any more. It's simply another state of being. The fact that you aren't "you" any more doesn't mean that it's some magical thing. How the hell does it "not make sense"??? Because you don't want it to!??

Come on, honestly!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll, moron, kiddie, or some combination?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll, moron, kiddie, or some combination?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiddie. And this coming from a 23 year old and not meant to be insulting.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently I have become agnosticish, but I am deeply trying to hold on to what I do believe. The only reason for this is that the thought of not existing after death TERRIFIES me. It's probably my biggest fear. Just imagining not seeing, hearing, or THINKING gives me a panic attack. So my question for you all is how do you deal with this? I can't believe that the petty things I do and will do on earth is all that I can every do, is this the standard thought? Am I missing something? Are things like reincarnation considered reasonable in atheism? Set me straight guys, preach away. If this a dumb post have mercy on my soul [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know what to tell you. This is probably pretty common, although personally, I don't think I've ever felt this sort of thing. I don't fear non-existence after my death, since I already have lots and lots of experience with non-existence, from before I was born. It wasn't that bad at all, I could do another eternity standing on my head.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason for this is that the thought of not existing after death TERRIFIES me. It's probably my biggest fear. Just imagining not seeing, hearing, or THINKING gives me a panic attack. So my question for you all is how do you deal with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes when contemplating my own death, I get a strange feeling of vertigo. The human brain is not well built to consider its own nonexistence.

But consider the fact that your consciousness has been nonexistent at other times - before you were born, and while you're in deep sleep - and that there has been nothing to be feared about these states.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that the petty things I do and will do on earth is all that I can every do, is this the standard thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why "petty"? Human life is all the more precious for being short. Things are not meaningless just because they don't last forever. Think about the impact that, say, the Founding Fathers have had on the lives of US citizens over the years. Is that petty? You might not be able to achieve something of that magnitude in your life, but reflecting on achievements like that might disabuse you of the idea that nothing is important.