Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is it acceptable for a male living alone to have these soaps?
Yes 23 54.76%
No 19 45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 AM

Default OOT: Choose my route

Edit: Write in votes for new guaranteed death route now allowed, see details in bold a few posts below!

I'm currently in Maryland, near DC. I need to be in Tennessee tomorrow. I'm leaving in approximately 1 hour to make the drive. Normally I go up north a bit, then take I-68 -> I-79 down through WV -> I-64 through Lexington, KY and on down (we'll call this blue route). I normally prefer this route because:
(1) speed limit through most of WV is 70 + no cops + twisty mountain roads = enjoyable, fast drive
(2) driving through VA sucks, speed limit 65, tons of very anal cops, jail time possible if I drive 20+. Also my driving priveledges may be suspended in VA, I'm not sure, but I would hate to be pulled over there.

My other option is a long painful drive down I-81 all the way to Knoxville -> I-40 to Nashville. The drive through TN is enjoyable but as I've already said I hate driving through VA, and I-81 goes like diagonally through the state so it maximizes the amount of time I spend in the state. We'll call this red route.

Earlier today I thought I would just take red route because the snow was all on blue route. But now it looks like the storm has come through and covered all of red route too. In fact it looks like the storm split itself just to cover both of my routes in ice. So I'm leaning back towards blue route again, but blue route is much more mountainous and not as well maintained, so there is probably a higher chance I kill myself there. So I'll let OOT decide, which route should I take? I will check the results at midnight ET, trip report to follow if I don't die.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: OOT: Choose my route

Don't think you have to worry about a speeding ticket with this weather, unless you're willing to risk death...

I'd definitely go red to avoid the mountains as much as possible.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:17 AM

Red.

what kind of car is important here I feel
Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of car is important here I feel

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a typical FWD coupe.

I really hate this choice but I'm going with risking the jail time. The mountains of West Virginia are just too nasty. But 81 isn't exactly flat, either.

Any chance of talking you into going down I-95 and working you way across North Carolina? And why are you leaving this time of night?

I really feel your pain here. I used to expedite freight with a cargo van and overnight runs through the mountains in the winter are coronary material.

Good luck and drive safe.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance of talking you into going down I-95 and working you way across North Carolina? And why are you leaving this time of night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, that would add 100 miles to my trip, and my driving priviledges are DEFINITELY suspended in NC. And it doesn't look much better in NC. I will however let myself be talked into driving the Blue Ridge Parkway through VA, as a sort of worst of both routes kind of thing, just because it would make a good trip report. If there are more write in votes for BRP than there are in the poll, I will go that way.

I'm leaving at night because I feel like it, and it will get me to TN sometime in the morning, so I have time to go to work.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 AM

i'd go red here, but 81 through VA really sucks balls. if no snow it's blue easily.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:30 AM

Take the blue route and drive on the shoulder the entire way.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd go red here, but 81 through VA really sucks balls. if no snow it's blue easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was hoping I would receive a lot of blue votes, cause I-81 sucks so bad its honestly like 400 miles of suicidal thoughts and I'm not looking forward to it.