Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 05:01 PM

Default AC is just a game of words

Q: "So who will run the prisons?"
AC A: "Who cares its a niggling detail that we don't have to worry about. But some private company will do it for money."
R: "We already have privitized prisons."
AC R: "Yeah but they are paid for by the state."

Um.... and where does the states money come from? The people. So essentially we eliminate the state so the peoples money goes directly to the prison, right?

Now, follow me here. A prison seems to be pretty much a commodity thing -- not much room for differentiation; you detain people and they don't get out essentially.

Now, currently in my hometown there are 12 different gas stations -- they all supply the same thing, gas. All within 2 cents of each other at all times, yet they all have decent business. So apparently my local community cannot agree on one gas supplier ( or commodity supplier, because this could extend to milk ( 6 brands in my local shoprite ) and other commodity services ).

So, given a AC free market each individual chooses with whom they want to contract for prison services? Does that mean that my local community has potentially 12 different companies which need to build prisons?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Re: AC is just a game of words

[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean that my local community has potentially 12 different companies which need to build prisons?

[/ QUOTE ]
Does your town have 12 different grocery stores?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean that my local community has potentially 12 different companies which need to build prisons?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just 3 supermarkets, 1 gourmet store, 2 natural food stores, a quick check, a 7/11 and a Wawa. But the shoprite sells 5 different brands of milk and 6 different brands of orange juice ( not including frozen, which probably brings it to 10 ).

Oh -- and you didn't answer any question at all.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just 3 supermarkets, 1 gourmet store, 2 natural food stores, a quick check, a 7/11 and a Wawa. But the shoprite sells 5 different brands of milk and 6 different brands of orange juice ( not including frozen, which probably brings it to 10 ).

Oh -- and you didn't answer any question at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
So your town really only demands 3 supermarkets, not 12? Why would you think the demand for the number of gas stations is equal to the demand for prisons?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Quick Check and a Wawa...

Whereabouts in New Jersey are you from? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quick Check and a Wawa...

Whereabouts in New Jersey are you from? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flemington -- you nearby, or have you escpaed from New Jersey?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:13 PM

The difference is coercion. The state's money come from the people, sure. Because the state has lots of dudes with guns who will kill the people if they don't give it up.

And it doesn't matter how many prisons there are. If the market will support 12, then sure. If not, then no. Your local community probably would not pay for 12 prisons run by different companies. But if your community wants to do that, they are free to do so.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference is coercion. The state's money come from the people, sure. Because the state has lots of dudes with guns who will kill the people if they don't give it up.

And it doesn't matter how many prisons there are. If the market will support 12, then sure. If not, then no. Your local community probably would not pay for 12 prisons run by different companies. But if your community wants to do that, they are free to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

"My community"?????? How the hell is "my community" supposed to make collective decisions that don't run into a free rider problem in an AC society?

Please. If you want to propose this grand vision, have at it. My when it starts depending on what a "community wants to do" you have seriously gone off the rails.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:57 PM

The free rider problem?

A free market provides disicentives toward free riders. A government actually provides incentives. If the people in your community want to shoot themselves in the foot, either suck it up or find a better community.

AC claims to maximize efficiency, not to optimize it. If you know of a better solution I'd love to hear it, but I think this is a red herring.

Or perhaps you fail to understand the advantages of collaboration. I'm not sure I can explain them to you. I'll keep choosing "100," and you keep choosing "2," and we'll see who ends up better off.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"My community"?????? How the hell is "my community" supposed to make collective decisions that don't run into a free rider problem in an AC society?

Please. If you want to propose this grand vision, have at it. My when it starts depending on what a "community wants to do" you have seriously gone off the rails.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your community makes the decisions he's referring to by the mechanism of the market. It's the same way the community decides the price of a loaf of bread and the number of gas stations and grocery stores in town. He is OBVIOUSLY not referring to any kind of central community planning agency.