Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Default BBQ

Your favorites, your recipes, and anything else having to do with BBQ. Let's hear it!

I have a ton of places to add, but I'll start with my favorite.

http://saltlickbbq.com/

A ways outside of Austin in the middle of nowhere. BYOB place where you can order family style combo platters that they just keep bringing you more of. Amazing sausage and ribs. But the real standout here is their brisket. So tender, so incredibly flavorful, just oh so delicious.

I highly recommend a trip to anyone who's visiting Texas, and it's a must-visit if you go to Austin.

They now have a location in Vegas, I've heard mixed reviews.

I've ordered from them online, which is great. I highly recommend ordering from them, especially the brisket.

Getting hungry now...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: BBQ

[ QUOTE ]
Your favorites, your recipes, and anything else having to do with BBQ. Let's hear it!

I have a ton of places to add, but I'll start with my favorite.

http://saltlickbbq.com/

A ways outside of Austin in the middle of nowhere. BYOB place where you can order family style combo platters that they just keep bringing you more of. Amazing sausage and ribs. But the real standout here is their brisket. So tender, so incredibly flavorful, just oh so delicious.

I highly recommend a trip to anyone who's visiting Texas, and it's a must-visit if you go to Austin.

They now have a location in Vegas, I've heard mixed reviews.

I've ordered from them online, which is great. I highly recommend ordering from them, especially the brisket.

Getting hungry now...

[/ QUOTE ]

While you're in Austin, I highly recommend Rudy's here, the self-proclaimed "Worst BBQ in Texas." There are several locations around Austin, and pretty much everything is good. They serve everything on butcher paper, and have lots of different meat and side items you can order. There are even handwashing sinks that you can use. I highly recommend the pork ribs(especially the St. Louis pork ribs) and the chopped beef.

Also, there is a town called Lockhart about 30 miles SE of Austin that seems to be comprised entirely of good BBQ restaurants. If you're looking for the real-deal, Texan barbecue places like you imagine them to be, check this town out.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Coffee,

Rudy's is nice but nothing compared to Salt Lick. Another good place in Texas is Soulman's, they never miss.

When I drive up to Connecticut every year I stop at Corky's in Memphis. Though I am not regularly in Nashville I have eaten at Jack's BBQ and it was really good. I also have eaten at another place in Nashville but can't think of the name which is bothering me.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM

One quick recipe for you guys:

BBQ pizza--

BBQ up a piece of salsissa, while this is cooking get some pizza dough, do your thing with the sauce, cheese, etc, whatever you like. I use homeade sauce, a combo of provolone, mozorella, and pecerino romano, some fresh basil leaves, and pepperoni. When the sausage just about done, cut up, throw on pizza, get a thick pizza stone with cornmeal on it, thrwo the uncooked pizza on the stone. this is teh key part, get a VERY VERY hot fire going, with applewood or hickory, I like using the weber becuase you get tons of smoke, in a small space, with high heat. Stick the stone on the grill, put the lid on with the vents closed, check after 8 minutes. Try not to take the lid off too much. The combo of the smoke and the dough is the hizzle.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:58 PM

Corky's BBQ in Memphis is pretty good. FedEx ships their stuff worldwide. I believe they also have a place in Nashville and one in Sam's Town in Tunica. www.corkysbbq.com

Also The Rendezvous in Memphis , http://www.hogsfly.com/ ,

Both of those places are pretty good. Anyone visiting Memphis should try those places. There's also a bbq cooking contest in May of every year that has to be the biggest in the world.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coffee,

Rudy's is nice but nothing compared to Salt Lick. Another good place in Texas is Soulman's, they never miss.

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems that the fewer the locations and the cheaper a BBQ joint, the better it actually is.

If anyone is reading this in North Phoenix, I strongly recommend Lovejoy's KC BBQ. The reviews on that link are mixed but I make a point of dropping in whenever I'm in the area and it's stellar. The reason I searched for a link at all is I wanted to make sure there is still only one - this may sound odd, but I'd prefer they never expand, I feel the quality suffers. I've seen that here in town with Honey Bears.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While you're in Austin, I highly recommend Rudy's here, the self-proclaimed "Worst BBQ in Texas." There are several locations around Austin, and pretty much everything is good. They serve everything on butcher paper, and have lots of different meat and side items you can order. There are even handwashing sinks that you can use. I highly recommend the pork ribs(especially the St. Louis pork ribs) and the chopped beef.

Also, there is a town called Lockhart about 30 miles SE of Austin that seems to be comprised entirely of good BBQ restaurants. If you're looking for the real-deal, Texan barbecue places like you imagine them to be, check this town out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Coffee is spot on about the Austin area Rudy's. I can't vouch for Rudy's in other locations(Waco, Denton, etc.) I'm not really a rib man but everyone must try the St. Louis Ribs at Rudy's. Good lord that meat just peels right off the bone and melts in your mouth. The place is very clean too. The busboys check the bathrooms every 15 minutes and keep them spotless. Also, they have timers next to the employee's sink and wash their hands for at least 30 seconds. I think they might hire illegal aliens though which is the only problem I see with the place. Oh, and skip on Rudy's prime rib, it's very hit or miss, usually miss. The chopped beef is just the scraps from the day before mixed with their sauce. Rudy's uses oak in their smokers.

I used to live in Lockhart, the BBQ Capital of Texas. The best value is Chisolm Trail and they have alot of good homecooked sides. They have a $7 deal where you get a chicken, 3 pints of sides and homemade bread, white bread or crackers. Kreuz Market thinks their meat is so awesome that they don't need to offer sauce. I disagree with that sentiment, but it's still pretty good. I seem to recall that Kreuz' didn't serve brisket, just shoulder. Smitty's serves the best lemonade I've ever had. One of the girls told me it's just half Countrytime and half lemonade. I never went to Black's so I can't comment on that establishment.

If you're visiting in Austin, I don't really think the BBQ in Lockhart is worth the two hour roundtrip, but if you're driving between San Antonio and ATX it's probably worth the slight detour.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:38 PM

Im a freak BBQ'er, I grill like almost everyday, and every sunday my buddy comes over, and we try new recipes (smokers, bbq, grilling, etc). If I get the bar that Im looking at, there is a good chance Ill open up a little bbq place out of there to run during the day. I dont really have any recipes off hand that you guys havent heard of, but I will post pics of the turkey I am doing on sunday for teh bowl.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 PM

in los angeles i like spring st. smokehouse. the spicy suace is the best ive ever had and the babybacks are falling off the bone.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in los angeles i like spring st. smokehouse. the spicy suace is the best ive ever had and the babybacks are falling off the bone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never tried them, but will ASAP. I like Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ in Van Nuys.