Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Default The cost of virtually moving to Canada

canadian bank account: $$$ for trip to canada
auto-fowarding canadian mailbox: ~$20 a month
candian proxy server: ???

does anyone know how much would it cost a month for a canadian proxy server? preferably one in the same place the pokersites are hosted.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: The cost of virtually moving to Canada

You might want to read this thread...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post8825021

In reference to your question... If you setup a system as I describe in my "formula" you are looking at ~$3000-$4000 for the local firewall, ~$1000 for the dedicated PC (would vary a lot based on needs, like supporting 4+ big LCD monitors, etc). The big question is if you need your own equipment in CA or not. If you need your own, add another $3000-$4000. Install costs would vary a lot. A typical rate for a solid network engineer working on a project basis, is somewhere between $125 and $300 an hour and expect somewhere between 10-20 of labor for setup and configuration. There also might be "setup" fees at the co-location center too, generally <$500.

Your reoccurring fees are going to be... Support/replacement on the firewalls/VPN concentrators ($100's to ~$1000 per year each), then rack space rental at the co-location for $100-$250 per month. Any tech support from the person/company you hire to implement it all would likely be handled on a year contract or on a per incident basis.

BTW, I really doubt the gaming commission is offering hosting to just anyone, and even if they did it would be foolish from a security stand point for the poker sites hosted there to accept connections from the datacenter.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM

that is way way too much. i am talking about getting some <$20 month shared hosting plan at the closest colocation center to the gaming servers. any cheap home router can be set to block all connections except to your server.

something like this:
http://canadawindowshosting.com/Cana...PS_Hosting.htm

thats $36 a month. maybe looking around you can find one in the low $20s since you probably aren't going to use much traffic.

here's one for $27(canadian) a month:
http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/vps.asp
Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 PM

The VPN and mailbox issues seem to be pretty straightforward, IMHO. The Canadian bank account seems to be the roadblock.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The VPN and mailbox issues seem to be pretty straightforward, IMHO. The Canadian bank account seems to be the roadblock.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Canadian bank account is not at all a roadblock. It's perfectly legal to have a Canadian bank account if you're a US citizen. You just have to go up there personally and open the account.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
A Canadian bank account is not at all a roadblock. It's perfectly legal to have a Canadian bank account if you're a US citizen. You just have to go up there personally and open the account.
Maybe, yet I haven't found a Canadian bank that will say they'd give me an account, even I flew north on the next plane. You generally have to live in Canada to get one.

I'm waiting to see someone say, "Yes, I just got an account at First Canuck Bank. Now I've got the VPN and my poker game is good to go." I know it all sounds easy, but I want to hear from the guy who's done it.

I've seen people either a.) use existing non-US connections to hook up or b.) get someone else to open an account for him. I don't see any "Virtual Canadians" yet -- and that makes me wonder if the workaround actually works.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is way way too much. i am talking about getting some <$20 month shared hosting plan at the closest colocation center to the gaming servers. any cheap home router can be set to block all connections except to your server.

something like this:

thats $36 a month. maybe looking around you can find one in the low $20s since you probably aren't going to use much traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are talking about apples and looking oranges. You do not need a web server, you need a VPN connection that is not shared or if shared completely isolates your connection from everyone else. While it maybe possible to setup VPN and RDP on one of these, they are generally setup on a VM system like VMWare for web hosting and not VPN/RDP.

BTW, most any home based router is not capable of blocking all traffic except to the VPN, in fact most do not have the ability to create firewall rules at all.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

something like this:

[/ QUOTE ]

You are talking about apples and looking oranges. You do not need a web server, you need a VPN connection that is not shared or if shared completely isolates your connection from everyone else. While it maybe possible to setup VPN and RDP on one of these, they are generally setup on a VM system like VMWare for web hosting and not VPN/RDP.

[/ QUOTE ]
i know VPS is usually used for webservers, but you can run pretty much whatever you want on them (plenty of people use them for gameservers and seedboxes). install OpenVPN and make it redirect all your traffic.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, most any home based router is not capable of blocking all traffic except to the VPN, in fact most do not have the ability to create firewall rules at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

every router i've owned has the ability to set firewall rules, even if yours doesn't you can get a new one for <$30.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cost of emailing MY stuff to Canada: Free
Cost of cashing out from my bank: Free
Cost of gas: $140USD, depending on where I'm going
Not haveing to worry about my Mastercard being stolen: Priceless [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For all moving expenses and moveing the He77 out of the U.S., MASTERCARD Acepted worldwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if only I had enough space online to store it all for the big move [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]