Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Default The Well: Riverboatking

Much gratitude to RBK for doing this. Feel free to ask him any questions and he will get back to them in a while.

[ QUOTE ]

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Wednesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" .

The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on Wednesday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on Wednesday, it’s your day in the well .

Well this is my Wednesday in The Well which will consist of Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

You may ask me any question about whatever you like. I will answer to the best of my abilities if I choose to answer your question.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: The Well: Riverboatking

Ok I guess here will do then,

rbk,

Which cash game players do you respect most?

What traits would you say make them formidable opponents?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rbk,

Which cash game players do you respect most?

What traits would you say make them formidable opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok well obv i can only comment on players who i've played with personally.

for me the toughest opponents are tricky lags (duh) however many top live NL cash game players are not that laggy
there are many top NL players who are big winners who i don't find to be that tough of opponents, including players like gabe thaler, and kenny tran, who are both exceptional players, but are not making as many moves and constantly floating and putting pressure on you so they're not as difficult to play.

i think that bobby hoff is an amazing player...he seems to read hands very well, and he changes gears exceptionally.
he has no problem floating flops and playing laggy, and seems to have adjusted the best of all the "old timers" to the "new" style of poker.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Okay, so you are basically my idol. Let's get some quick facts down first of all:

Age, city, time playing poker profesionally, preferred game(s), gourmand or gourmet, preferred grape of red and white wine (I guess a requisite for this is gourmet though), hobbies besides poker, top 5 respected 2+2ers, this will do as a start.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Age, city, time playing poker profesionally, preferred game(s), gourmand or gourmet, preferred grape of red and white wine (I guess a requisite for this is gourmet though), hobbies besides poker, top 5 respected 2+2ers, this will do as a start.

[/ QUOTE ]

los angeles.
2 1/2 years.
gourmand definitely.
red wine, although i love desert wines, especally ice wine and muscato d' asti.
i play guitar (martin DB40), snowboard, love music and good movies. used to play a ton of sports including basketball, hockey and baseball (varsity high school) but had a serious injury senior yr of high school so can't really play much anymore.
i also love to golf and play pool.
oh yeah and i like to drink and [censored].

i think there are a lot of good posters on the site.
i have to make a distinction between posters i respect that i've met and ppl whose posts i respect.

snagglepuss, fsu, azk, magicninja, lapoker and neon i've spent time with and are super cool heads.
i got to hang out with CTS for a very short time but he seemed super chill as well.

strassa makes some excellent posts, as do a ton of the MSNL and HSNL guys including you MDMA so it would be too hard to try and list them all, and i'd undoubtedly forget someone cuz i am rediculously absent minded (smoked way to much pot in college).

suffice to say i respect anyone on the site who makes strategy posts with the intent to improve his game and promote healthy discussion, i think all the high school drama and posturing is pretty lame.
but in general you have to do something really dickish like say "some women deserve to get raped" in order for me to lose all respect for you as a human being.

oh and if i met you and forgot you i'm sorry i haven't slept in a real long time.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
top 5 respected 2+2ers

[/ QUOTE ]

some of the posters that i learned a lot from are:
matt flynn, ulyseses, and limon.
turnipmonster, strassa, mdma, and foxwoodsfiend always have great insights.
KKF always started great threads.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:16 PM

RBK,

Again, thanks for doing this. I take it from your previous response that you are not "riverboatking" on Full Tilt...

Anyway, how did you get to the level (moneywise) you are at now? Independently wealthy? Win the lottery? Move up in stakes from the smaller games (live or online)?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how did you get to the level (moneywise) you are at now? Independently wealthy? Win the lottery? Move up in stakes from the smaller games (live or online)?

[/ QUOTE ]

as i said in another post i started with a 2K student grant.
before poker i was broke as a joke.

i have played primarily live.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some of the posters that i learned a lot from are:
matt flynn, ulyseses, and limon.
turnipmonster, strassa, mdma, and foxwoodsfiend always have great insights.
KKF always started great threads

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why i hate making posts like these cuz i inevitably forget people.
cero_z and whitelime are great posters as well, and i'm sure i'm still forgeting people and so i apologize.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 AM

Hey RBK,

I'm sure you haven't watched LATB in a while, and I totally agree that pretty much everybody who plays in the 10-20 game at the Bike is pretty weak. The only real exception to that I think is the host Mo, who has really been on an incredible tear the past few months. Some of the reads he has made are just amazing, and he has been playing almost flawlessly from what I've seen. It's like every time some guy makes a raise on a bluff Mo comes back and makes some sick rebluff. He has also made some incredible folds and calls as well.

I was curious what you think of his game, and how he would fare in the tougher games (say the big games at Commerce that you regularly play in).

Also, I'm curious like KKF on what kind of winrates can you expect for a great player in a live game (say in a soft 5/10 or 10/20 game like the ones spread at the Bike).