Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Newbie Question(s) and Some Advice

Haven't been at this, very long, and I have some questions that I hope no one will mind.

I'm sure it is something simple, but I've not yet figured out the meaning of MP1/2/3, or CO, in relation to table position.

I know there are other abbreviations, I don't know, but can't recall them right now.

2) What is the best progression, in terms of increasing skill, with types of tourneys? Began with minis, and cashed some, but got frustrated with the hacks.

Spent the past few days in SNG9s (on Stars), cashing in 6 of 8. Also cashed in the one 180 I entered. These were 5s and 10s.

I'm certainly enjoying the higher dollars, as the number of donks drops, but still seeing them, on occasion, even in the $10 games.

I'm thinking I should be looking at the $20-50 SNG9s and/or $10-$20 180s.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Newbie Question(s) and Some Advice

Post in the Beginners section of this board...
EP - Early Position
MP - Mid Position
LP - Late Position
CO - Cut off
Old 01-22-2007, 12:59 PM

If you're as new as you seem to be, the WORST thing you can do is to think that you're great at this game because you happen to be running incredibly hot right now.

Don't take that the wrong way -- you may have some game and it's great that you're here with the obvious intention of improving, but the success you've had so far is unsustainable by anyone. You can very easily play exactly the same way you are right now -- or better -- and go 15 or more single-table tourneys without cashing.

So enjoy the ride you're on, but don't start making plans on leaping to higher buy-in games just yet. Bankrolls can disappear very quickly.

Oh, and that fact that you're "frustrated with the hacks" shows that you have a lot to learn about the game. I know how much it sucks to lose to someone who calls your KK raise with Q9 and then flops trips... but remember, you *want* idiots to do idiotic things. Sure it's gonna blow up in your face sometimes, but you will profit in the long run. So don't be racing to games with fewer donks because you want to avoid bad beats. You'll get burned more often than not. (And you'll still get donks and bad beats.)

Matt
Old 01-22-2007, 01:22 PM

If you are playing poker to make money (or at least to not lose money) Then play five hundred $4.40s before you think about moving up.

If you want to play SNGs then read the 1 table tournament forum and realize how they can be played very scientifically and if you do not know ICM you are leaving a ton of money on the table and you probably will not be a long run winning player.

From your posts today alone I know that you have severe leaks and will go busto within a week of $50 sngs.

I am not trying to be harsh. Anyone with any experience knows that I am just being honest.

Best of luck to you,
Steve
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM

How many 180 man sng mtt's would be considered a significant sample? Is a 200% ROI over 100 $4.40's mean I'm ready to move up to the next level or just running really hot or both? Also since this is a dumb question thread, what the hell does tl;dr mean? Tough luck and ?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also since this is a dumb question thread, what the hell does tl;dr mean? Tough luck and ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm much better at answering non-poker questions so I'll take this one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tl;dr is "too long, didn't read."
Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many 180 man sng mtt's would be considered a significant sample? Is a 200% ROI over 100 $4.40's mean I'm ready to move up to the next level or just running really hot or both? Also since this is a dumb question thread, what the hell does tl;dr mean? Tough luck and ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're doing that well at the 4's you should be properly rolled for the 10's (200% over 100 = +$800) and should take shots at those until you get to 2k when you can move to the 20's. Baby steps, but if you're telling the truth and aren't losing playing other games you should have no problem moving up.