Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Digital SLR Suggestions

Im after someone to point me in the right direction as far as DSLR's go, i wanna take the next step in digital photography as its one of my hobbies, but havent been upto date in recent times as what is good and what is great,

im on a budget and have recently looked at a Nikon D70s
Which fits well into the price range.

Nikon D70S with Nikon AFS 18-70mm IF ED and Tamron70-300mm Zoom Lenses is $1500AUD.
Link

Help OOT

Dan
Old 01-22-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Digital SLR Suggestions

get a Canon Rebel XT... since the XTi is out you can get them mad discounted.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 AM

Cool i just looked it up, was $1300AUD for Canon EOS 350D with Canon 18-55mm zoom, and additional EF75-300mm lens. which is similar to the other one but $200 cheaper and its an 8MP camera.

when i searched rebel XT i got the EOS 350D Link
Old 01-22-2007, 02:25 AM

rebel xt....
Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 AM

There was a great thread on this a while ago, let me see if I can find it.

Required google to find, but here you go
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1

I think that thread included the pros/cons of each canon vs nikon, as well as some discussion regarding lenses, filters, etc.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 AM

Thank you very much for that

The thread was very informative.

Dan
Old 01-22-2007, 03:54 AM

Make sure to pay attention and read reviews if you buy a dSLR body that comes with a lens. For instance, the Nikon 18-70mm that is commonly sold with the D70s body is far superior to the 18-55mm that is sometimes sold with the D50 and D70s.

Just my advice, but I'd get the kit that didn't come with the Tamron 70-300mm. Not a great lens, and they're probably charging you more than it's worth to add it to the kit. If you're going to get a longer lens of that type, I'd buy the Nikon 70-300mm separately. Comparable in price to the Tamron, but superior in quality.

Alternatively, buy the body with no lens, and get the kickass 18-200mm VR Nikon lens. It will do nearly everything the 18-70mm and 70-300mm will do, and is much faster. Quite a bit more expensive, but definitely a nice piece of equipment.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure to pay attention and read reviews if you buy a dSLR body that comes with a lens. For instance, the Nikon 18-70mm that is commonly sold with the D70s body is far superior to the 18-55mm that is sometimes sold with the D50 and D70s.

Just my advice, but I'd get the kit that didn't come with the Tamron 70-300mm. Not a great lens, and they're probably charging you more than it's worth to add it to the kit. If you're going to get a longer lens of that type, I'd buy the Nikon 70-300mm separately. Comparable in price to the Tamron, but superior in quality.

Alternatively, buy the body with no lens, and get the kickass 18-200mm VR Nikon lens. It will do nearly everything the 18-70mm and 70-300mm will do, and is much faster. Quite a bit more expensive, but definitely a nice piece of equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this lens too, at least in theory. It's about as perfect a walk-around lens as you are going to get. Light and covers a huge range. Like any lens, it has its faults -- but the main one, the zoom creep, has been fixed in the latest builds. And while there are sharper lenses out there, it is still quite sharp in the center at most focal lengths, and plenty sharp enough for most people. Can't beat the versatility of this lens. And the VR (vibration reduction) adds a lot, too.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 AM

http://dpreview.com/ has highly in depth reviews for most cameras and is well worth checking out.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:05 PM

i'd get the d70s and grab the nikon 18-200mm... that lens is sick. i'm about to buy a d200 myself soon.

FWIW, slickdeals.net had the canon 30D body for under $1k. if you're going canon, I'd go for that for sure over the rebel. they aren't even in teh same ballpark