Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 07:05 PM

Default McCain is toast

After his performance on Meet the Press this morning. I had found him a refreshing candidate in his previous presidential run with his 'straight talk express' because he would very often speak off the cuff instead of reciting memorized responses mostly seen from other candidates. Responses that all too frequently don't match the question...but I digress.
I was disappointed by his making peace with the far right as he began his current presidential bid last year. But his appearance this morning was worse than wooden. It was the worst of canned answers, totally lacking energy or emotion. At times it even seemed like there was a time delay as if he wasn't focused.
Color him gone.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: McCain is toast

I agree. And if the new Iraq plan bombs, the "McCain surge" will destroy him. The turn he's taken is unfortunate. But, the system is as much to blame as anyone. The primary system makes it tough for even quasi-independents to win without being a traitor to themselves.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 PM

His negatives are approaching Hillarys. The man is as charismatic as wood. Hes been pandering to the far right for 2 years now and most of them still dont believe him or like him. Hopefully now people know he is not moderate or a maverick and his candidacy bursts into flames.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. And if the new Iraq plan bombs, the "McCain surge" will destroy him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize the current surge is not his plan. OPLAN 1003-98, the plan for the invasion of Iraq, called for 350-500K troops. These numbers were derived from lots of experience in the Balkans. We currently have 130K troops in Iraq. Do you think 20K more is really going to do anything? McCain has publicly criticized the small surge.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:25 AM

I think that Huckabee has a good shot at the nomination. He is the former gov. of Arkansas he want have the Iraq debacle hanging over his head and "values" conservatives will find him appealing.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. And if the new Iraq plan bombs, the "McCain surge" will destroy him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize the current surge is not his plan. OPLAN 1003-98, the plan for the invasion of Iraq, called for 350-500K troops. These numbers were derived from lots of experience in the Balkans. We currently have 130K troops in Iraq. Do you think 20K more is really going to do anything? McCain has publicly criticized the small surge.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Sen. John McCain defended President Bush's Iraq plan on Friday as a difficult but necessary move, parting company with lawmakers questioning the wisdom of the military build up. "I believe that together these moves will give the Iraqis and Americans the best chance of success," said McCain."

Of course it isn't his plan. But, he's been vocal about more troops, and has generally backed Bush's recent decision. He's tied to it now, politically. If it fails, much of the public won't buy "oh, 100K more troops would have solved it". Bush, McCain, and any other surge advocate will be lumped together when judgment has passed on the new strategy. The public sees this very black and white. Less, the same, or more troops. Which are you for Mr. Politician?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 AM

I totally agree esp. if the Bush McCain Surge fails.

Who is going to take his place as the front runner for the GOP.

Newt? The guy that served divorce papers to his wife while she was in the hospital with cancer?

Mit? no comment

Rudy? more divorce
Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 AM

Ron Paul!! :-P
Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul!! :-P

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard of him myself. Where does he stand on the War?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 AM

One of a handful of Republicans to vote against it.