Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Everyone folding this?

Only sat down at the table. This is my fourth hand. No reads whatsoever. Just wondering how you all would play
this. Is my reraise after the c/r just plain terrible?
Would you all just throw it away there and then?
All comments welcome.
Thanks. Neil.....
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($17.50)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($44.45)</font>
MP ($58.20)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($48)</font>
Button ($17.20)
SB ($36.90)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $23</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $39.95</font>, Hero calls $16.95.

Turn: ($89.65) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($89.65) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $89.65
Old 01-15-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Everyone folding this?

Sorry to be not much help, but this one sux. I would have either done what you did, or just called when he came over the top on flop. Either way I don't think I could have gotten off the AA, but I'm a sucky newb [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2007, 08:52 PM

you must reraise this a lot heavier, like at least 7 dollars. then you can lead pot for like 12, if he pushed on this flop im just going to have to go broke but im pretty confident about being ahead most of the time.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you must reraise this a lot heavier, like at least 7 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what that accomplishes against players astute enough to fold underpairs. And I'm told (by Paul Thomson) that my previous impression that you can call 1/10 your stack for set value is erroneous, that I should really be looking for 13:1 to 17:1. So $4.50 should be fine to deny set odds.

The best way to deny set odds, though, is to balance getting away from overpairs with not turning weak tight. I think you're probably beat once you call the c/r and get bet into, and unless people have been taking shots at you I think you can fold it with a clean conscience.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:53 AM

Exactly like many players stated, You gave the villain percieved odds to call. Notice I am not saying he did have odds but you made it cheaper for him to hit that hand.

Im not saying he would have folded to a PSB;but, that same PSB when used regular will save you money in the long run and maximize your profits because people tend to over play hands in large pots.

I got to this thread late; but, I am probably never folding here against unknown. The only thing I hate is the small bet and makes me think he had something like 66.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly like many players stated, You gave the villain percieved odds to call. Notice I am not saying he did have odds but you made it cheaper for him to hit that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's a mistake because it encourages him to make a bad call? Somehow I don't think the FTOP endorses that view.

But I'm not 100% convinced that the PF call here with a small pair is wrong, so perhaps raising a bit more to induce a more incorrect call -- not to induce a correct fold! -- is a good idea.

It is hard to get away from AA at these stacks, but not all that many unknowns will check/raise one-pair hands. AK is very plausible here though, so it's pretty marginal. (I'd be more inclined to play for stacks if the flop were ten-high, because people lose their mind with a JJ overpair on a flop like that.)

Neither folding nor smooth calling the check the flop seems much wrong, but doing the same one routinely at the same table and especially against the same opponent would be bad.

Arrgh, while composing this article I paid off a flopped set at 24:1. My Fancy Play Syndrome trying to get the most out of AA blinded me to the meaning of a turn raise. I think I should stick to posting.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM

I'd do what you did, morning noon and night.

Also I'm not great at SH NL. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Are you saying it's completely obvious that he's got top set? Because it's not at all obvious.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 PM

Oh, just noticing your dreadfully small raises. Keep 'em pot-sized. I know PS doesn't have a button for that, but you're going to get reamed for the min-raises.

But folding? No, I do not fold there.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, just noticing your dreadfully small raises. Keep 'em pot-sized. I know PS doesn't have a button for that, but you're going to get reamed for the min-raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the raises are a bit strange sized. I should be thinking more about my exact raise amounts. See what you are saying about stars though. I hate the slider thing and dont like messin about with it for too long. Im scared of people thinking i am hesitating.
Thanks dnord.....
Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Preflop raise is crap. If I was in Villain's spot and had 66 or 88, I would call that. If you made it $7 pre, I'd fold.