Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Default How do you play the stud games in HORSE tourneys?

Just recently I discovered HORSE tournaments (I guess I'm not the only one), I've only played the small and medium at Poker Stars and I haven't reach any final table yet. It's fun though to play something for just... the fun. It's almost like when I started out my poker career, because I know it's not much value playing these small tourneys, but while NLHE cash games are work, this is exciting and kind of recreation...

Still I have a little trouble with the stud games, LHE and LO8 is no problem, but the structure in stud games makes me wonder... Usually when I play Stud8 the ante is very low (10/20 and below), and the best way to play is very tight, I think 90% of my opponents are too loose. But in HORSE (and stud) tournaments the ante is extremly high compared to the small and big bets. So my question is, how do you guys play these games, what are the starting hands you add, are you more agressive with the hands you play, or do you just wait for hold'em...? LOL
Hope you would like to join me in the discussion, can't be only me having this dilemma.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: How do you play the stud games in HORSE tourneys?

badly.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 PM

LOL
Old 01-12-2007, 02:59 PM

By folding every damn hand until it gets back to the HOR section. Gawd I hate stud. My hatred of stud is exceeding only by my hatred of stud 8OB.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 PM

For stud high I usually play pretty tight and try not to get involved without decent pairs because nothing puts me on worst tilt than being beat by (3,7)10. For hi/lo, I like to play a lot looser. Against few opponents I play low straight draws a lot when it seems as if I'm the only one with a low draw because I'll usually be freerolling for the high.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Stud is alot more difficult to me than the stud 8 especially if your multitabling.

I think stud 8 is easier people's hand selection is terrible (play too many pairs)

I actually hate the LHE section the most because it forces me to put in alot of chips with draws etc. which you dont have to do in the other games.

I think stealing the antes is easier in stud than stud 8. If people have the right hand they are going to play no matter what in 8.

I enjoy the HORSE and they probably can be profitable
Old 01-12-2007, 03:40 PM

you know guys, there is a bunch of forums for the non holdem games. Go there learn the basics.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM

They usually not cover the super high ante structure, most hands discussed covers low and mid limit games. The tourney ante structure is even worse (or better, depending what you prefer) than 30/60 game.
My post was actually meant to ask other HORSE (or stud) tournament players how to deal with that fact. Most literature and articles deal with cash games where the ante is pretty low. So the question is, how much looser do you HAVE to play in a tourney?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you know guys, there is a bunch of forums for the non holdem games. Go there learn the basics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

However, honestly, I play the HORSE events to take advantage of the LHE so-called superstars who know squat about stud games. Some quick basics:
Razz. I think it's self-explanatory. Don't play anything that isn't 3 low cards to an 8. If a card below an 8 has brought it in, don't call with 3 to an 8 (obv.). Do not call if an opponents board beats your hand, or if he has 2469 showing and you have (A2)4827. You should not call. I know you have an 87 low, and you could represent a 74 low, but if your opponent is betting into that...he can beat it.

Stud8b - GO FOR THE LOW. (AQ)A sucks in stud8b unless it's heads-up, and even then, back off when it looks like you're getting freerolled.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:42 PM

I agree, however, high hands like (KK)Q are good to attack the bring-in with in late position if the remaing hands (except the bring-in of course) have 9's, T's, J's etc (obvious too maybe). But I never play hi pairs in early or mid position.
But do you even play low hands without scoop posibility, like 2,6,8 rainbow? When I play cash games I always fold them except when playing against two high hands (which is rare).