Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Default \"xxyourusernameherexx\" internet naming meme, a discussion

It was my understanding that this used to signify that the person was straight edge. Now it just tends to signify that they lack imagination or kinda missed in an attempt at irony.

However, I'm old, so perhaps I don't get it.

WTF is with this nonsense?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: \"xxyourusernameherexx\" internet naming meme, a discussion

It used to mean the user was straight edge? Shows you how much I know. Why wouldn't straight edge people pick a letter that was, you know, straight? Like llyournameherell, or ||yournamehere||?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Wookie,

The X, to my limitied understanding, is something the sXe (see!) kids use a lot.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It used to mean the user was straight edge? Shows you how much I know. Why wouldn't straight edge people pick a letter that was, you know, straight? Like llyournameherell, or ||yournamehere||?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "X" started as a signal at bars that you were not drinking. This was common when bands played at bars, adn you were underage, they would X your hand. Then the straight edgers adopted this as their thing to signify they weren't drinking (or doing anything else) as far as I understand.

What I DON'T understand is why they feel it is important that everybody else know that they are not doing these things.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I DON'T understand is why they feel it is important that everybody else know that they are not doing these things.

[/ QUOTE ]
They wanted to lead by example. Lots of trouble has happened at punk rock shows from people drinking, especially underage. The subculture (in the early 80s) developed a reputation for being a gang of hooligans and it attracted more of the same. These people marking their hands were trying to show others that they didn't need to drink or do drugs to have fun at punk shows.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They wanted to lead by example. Lots of trouble has happened at punk rock shows from people drinking, especially underage. The subculture (in the early 80s) developed a reputation for being a gang of hooligans and it attracted more of the same. These people marking their hands were trying to show others that they didn't need to drink or do drugs to have fun at punk shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they were exhibiting some seriously self-righteous behaviour you normally find from born-agains and vegans.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or they were exhibiting some seriously self-righteous behaviour you normally find from born-agains and vegans.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and [censored] my head
Hang out with the living dead
Snort white [censored] up my nose
Pass out at the shows
I don't even think about speed
That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and smoke dope
'Cause I know I can cope
Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
Always gonna keep in touch
Never want to use a crutch

I've got the straight edge

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-05-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but more recently I've seen more fights started at shows BY straight edgers then otherwise.

I tend to lean towards the self righteous thing myself though.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The "X" started as a signal at bars that you were not drinking. This was common when bands played at bars, adn you were underage, they would X your hand. Then the straight edgers adopted this as their thing to signify they weren't drinking (or doing anything else) as far as I understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. i've grown to hate the straight edge movement due to the fact that the majority seem to constantly try to shove it in your face. damn, it's cool that you don't drink and all that, but i don't need to hear about it every [censored] day.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought this was the whole point.

When I think straight-edge, I imagine that forearm cross. Maybe it's because most of my images of straight-edge comes from bands, and they needed some gang symbol to throw on stage.

[ QUOTE ]
Less sXe talk and more explanations of why kids who I'm 99% sure aren't sXe are now using this goofy ass format.

I know some of you post in here, so explain yourselves dammit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know the framing of your username was any sort of political statement; I thought it was just kids who realized that putting the year in your name was short sighted.

Around here, I figured putting a period at the end of your name meant you were menstruating.
-Sam