Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Am I too tight in the blinds?

Reads aside here... I keep getting stuck mid-MTT's where I miss playing a hand or two, and suddenly I've paid another round of blinds, and then they go up, and I'm shortsacked.

Anyways, I got distracted at the house here, I come back to see a raise and a call, and I just fold, without considering the math.

I have 100 BB's - is this a spot to call and take a flop, or should I continue to play tight?

(this was the 20 rebuy, not a freezeout, hence the deep chip stacks)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t6375)
Hero (t22272)
BB (t13562)
UTG (t14397)
UTG+1 (t9150)
MP1 (t17591)
MP2 (t18799)
MP3 (t9470)
CO (t18924)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1400) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t1600</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: t3000
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Am I too tight in the blinds?

I'd probably toss it, but I don't think many are going to fault you here if you call.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:24 AM

The deep stacks allow you enough implied odds to play a hand like 108s, but I try to only calling raises with hands such as these when I got position on the raiser. Since that isn't the case here I'd probably muck it, unless I think one of the two players in the hand is bad enough to stack of with top pair or something like that. Of course, if I know I'm about to flop a straigh with a nice lil redraw I'd def call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-04-2007, 01:34 AM

dont be results oriented

that being said this is like a big time 50/50 decision, I guess I would standard is to muck but fold and call are both fine.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:13 AM

I call here all the time. I think this hand is pretty well completely dependent on how well you play postflop. Some people should almost never call here others should always call.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 AM

I was watching Ansky's rebuy tournament win where he posted the whole tournament and I noticed that he folded hands much better than this in the blinds.

since then, I've been folding a lot more in the blinds and doing better.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 AM

multi tabling ill never call with this, maybe sometimes when i have only one or two tables, but when i am its to flop a draw and get all in with some folding equity, not for the implied odds of flopping something huge so ill call with a smaller stack than this but just fold here

but yeah, its all dependant on how you play postflop, try calling here and seeing how you do
Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching Ansky's rebuy tournament win where he posted the whole tournament and I noticed that he folded hands much better than this in the blinds.

since then, I've been folding a lot more in the blinds and doing better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he 100xbb deep?

No.

Please stop posting your retarded nonsense. You've obviously given up trying to improve a long time ago, so please refrain from possibly infecting the minds of those looking to learn with your horribly misconstrued advice.

Call.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:42 AM

Nothing wrong with not wanting to play out of position, you should only call here if you feel you have good post flop play, and strong implied odds. If you don't have either, you're probably giving alot of chips away here in the longrun.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 AM

Getting 3:1 with an M of over 70. Callllll*. If your stack was half that size or less, fold is reasonable.

*Unless you're a bad post-flop player. Sure, you don't like playing out of position, but I think this situation is too good not to call.