Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Please help. Advice for semester in Prague

Hi All:

Although I lurk often, this is my first post in OOT. Sorry to be asking for help instead of offering.

In February, my daughter is leaving for a semester in Prague. We have a few questions and any advice/info from the folks in OOT would be greatly appreciated.

We are planning on buying a surge-protected multi-strip, a 500watt transformer, and a plug-adapter. Is this the right play/adequate?

What should we do about a cell phone?

What is appropriate clothing for a 21-year old female (serious replies only please [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])? She is concerned about looking good, I want her to blend in so that she doesn't stand out as American.

Any suggestions for day-to-day life strategies, nightlife, sights?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Please help. Advice for semester in Prague

Clothing; similar to the US from what I've seen (a good friend of mine went to Prague this semester and I just looked through her pictures).

On a side note, there is a picture of a group of the students shotgunning beers in what looks like a train station. Do with this information what you will.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:41 PM

LOL, I know she drinks and parties. But, she is keeping it together and doing well so we can't complain too much. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:42 PM

"if i were you, i wouldnt go to the bathroom the entire trip."
Old 12-30-2006, 02:49 PM

I assume typical Euro-baths? I guess she will just have to pay that small price for 3-months of culture.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:44 PM

I went to Prague this summer. Everyone wears the same clothes as us with the exception of tennis shoes.

If your daughter does not speak or read Czech, I hope she enjoys being lost and scammed.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:32 PM

Please notify us when her picture shows up here :

http://www.vamostravel.com/stag_weekends/prague/ (Okay for work)

http://www.wild-girls-tgp.com/eurosexpartypics.htm (very very NSFW !!)
Old 12-31-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your daughter does not speak or read Czech, I hope she enjoys being lost and scammed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely untrue.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:59 PM

Any more detail? WHat kind of tennis shoes? What about being scammed?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi All:

Although I lurk often, this is my first post in OOT. Sorry to be asking for help instead of offering.

In February, my daughter is leaving for a semester in Prague. We have a few questions and any advice/info from the folks in OOT would be greatly appreciated.

We are planning on buying a surge-protected multi-strip, a 500watt transformer, and a plug-adapter. Is this the right play/adequate?

What should we do about a cell phone?

What is appropriate clothing for a 21-year old female (serious replies only please [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])? She is concerned about looking good, I want her to blend in so that she doesn't stand out as American.

Any suggestions for day-to-day life strategies, nightlife, sights?

Thanks in advance for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Prague for 3 months last winter. Awesome city.

Don't bother with sending any electronics with her unless you can find a couple EU to US plugs. If not it's not a big deal, just tell her to go into any electronics store and ask for a few adaptors so she can plug in her laptop, hairdryer, whatever.

Cell phones are ridiculously cheap in czech republic. Tell her to buy one with a payasyougo plan when she gets there. It will be fine for use there and phone cards are also cheap for calling back home.

I wouldn't worry about not looking american unless she already speaks czech, and in anycase it doesn't matter because there are literally tens of thousands of tourists in prague at any time. Czech girls are IMO better dressed than americans, although they usually have a lot less money. But again it doesn't matter unless she wants to walk around with a green bay packers sweatshirt and a GO USA baseball cap.

Day to day strategies: make sure to learn the basic czech as soon as possible. You will get treated better and it is just a lot more fun to be able to say please and thank you without feeling dumb.

Don't flag down cabs ever, you will get ripped off. Learn the metro and streetcar system, get maps as soon as possible and explore the city by tram. If she is living a long way from her classes than a metro pass is a really good deal. Otherwise just taking the trams is usually fine for getting around. Technically you need tickets to ride the trams although in 3 months and hundreds of rides I was only checked once (the fine is $20). It's a very cheap and easy city to get around, but like anywhere it takes a while to get used to, I'm sure her study abroad program will help.

There are lots of tourist/foriegn student type clubs and bars in the downtown (new/old town) area of prague which should be fun to go to, but they are expensive and (obviously) have more tourists and students than locals. Once you get a feel for the city be sure to check out the clubs in some of the other neighbourhoods.

Sights: obviously do all the standard stuff downtown, its a beautiful city. If she has a chance I really reccommend getting out of the city for a weekend or two. Olomouc is a great little university city in eastern CZ - it has only one hostel that I know of (poet's corner) but it is one of the best I've stayed. Also Chesky Krumlov is just south of prague - although it is kind of a hassle to get there. Very beautiful town with lots of hostels.

Jdanz studied abroad in prague last year and we hung out a few times while we were there. If he sees this thread I'm sure he will also have some great advice.