Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Incubus - Light Grenades

I think this is their strongest album since Make Yourself. I didn't much care for most of 'A Crow Left of the Murder', so I was very happy to hear how this release turned out. A quick breakdown of how I rate the songs:

* * * * * just amazing
* * * * enough to get on my exclusive playlist
* * * decent, will listen to when playing through
* * usually skip over when playing CD
* always skip

1. Quicksand * *
2. A Kiss to Send Us Off * *
3. Dig * * * * *
4. Anna Molly * * * *
5. Love Hurts *
6. Light Grenades *
7. Earth to Bella (Part 1) * * * *
8. Oil and Water * * * * *
9. Diamonds and Coal * * *
10. Rogues * * * * *
11. Paper Shoes * * *
12. Pendulous Threads * *
13. Earth to Bella (Part 2)* * *

With 3 five-stars and 2 four-stars on a single CD, that is enough for it to be an excellent album according to my overly-selective music taste. I recommend legally downloading it.

I've never posted an album review, but I'm a big Incubus fan and I thought I'd share.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Incubus - Light Grenades

I DL'd this one the day it released I really like it too.

I agree mostly with your song ratings, though I'm not big on Earth to Bella (both parts).

Anna Molly has been on the radio since before the release, but I'm predicting Dig will be the biggest hit on the album. That's a great jam.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Weird - I am listening to "Light Grenades" off Light Grenades right now, as soon as I saw this post.

Yeah, I like the CD a whole lot. My two favorite songs are Dig and Rogues as well. The symbolism in Anna-Molly is very good, as well.

Like A Crow Left of the Murder, this CD took me a few times to listen through to enjoy it. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is still my all-time favorite, though.

EDIT: BTW, Love Hurts and Light Grenades are both good songs, imo. Definitely not an 'always skip'. I don't particularly care for Earth to Bella - including both parts.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: BTW, Love Hurts and Light Grenades are both good songs, imo. Definitely not an 'always skip'. I don't particularly care for Earth to Bella - including both parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. A Kiss To Send Us Off and Paper Shoes are very good too IMO. Good album.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:47 PM

I really like this album, as I really didn't like Crow Left of Murder. I think it's probably a little better than Morning View. Dig is a GREAT song and will be their biggest hit in awhile.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 PM

I think Earth to Bella would have been much more enjoyable had it been left as one whole song. Having said this, I still like it. Especially at the end of PT. II.

Both the "AND" songs are kinda bland and I was a little disappointed.

Quicksand should have been longer!! But I love how it flows seamlessly with AKTSUO.

Lyrics are weak and cheesy on Love Hurts, but I think Brandon meant to do that in some ways. I don't ever skip it.

Dig is going to be big, like Drive big. This is the song I have my friends listen to who don't know Incubus well. They always love it.

Anna-Molly was a great first single and a really awesome song.

Paper Shoes is growing on me, but I still skip it sometimes.

My favorites so far are AKTSUO, Pendulous Threads, and Rogues.

IMO, two of the best songs were left off the US version of the album. Punch Drunk and Look Alive were only on the Japanese version of Light Grenades. If you are interested in hearing these songs send me a PM and I can give you a link.

I had been waiting for this album for three years, and my initial impressions were those of disappointment, but it has really grown on me. I love how they keep changing with every album that comes out. They are going to be around for a long time. 4/5 stars.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dig is an AWESOME song and should be their biggest hit since Drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 AM

A Crow Left of the Murder was my first Incubus album and I liked it quite a bit but when I tracked back through their previous albums, Mark Yourself was easily the best. As for Light Grenades, seems good so far although I haven't listened to it enough. Love Hurts is actually a decent song albeit a bit cheesy.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is their strongest album since Make Yourself. I didn't much care for most of 'A Crow Left of the Murder', so I was very happy to hear how this release turned out. A quick breakdown of how I rate the songs:

* * * * * just amazing
* * * * enough to get on my exclusive playlist
* * * decent, will listen to when playing through
* * usually skip over when playing CD
* always skip

1. Quicksand * *
2. A Kiss to Send Us Off * *
3. Dig * * * * *
4. Anna Molly * * * *
5. Love Hurts *
6. Light Grenades *
7. Earth to Bella (Part 1) * * * *
8. Oil and Water * * * * *
9. Diamonds and Coal * * *
10. Rogues * * * * *
11. Paper Shoes * * *
12. Pendulous Threads * *
13. Earth to Bella (Part 2)* * *

With 3 five-stars and 2 four-stars on a single CD, that is enough for it to be an excellent album according to my overly-selective music taste. I recommend legally downloading it.

I've never posted an album review, but I'm a big Incubus fan and I thought I'd share.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree with what you say except i like "love hurts", maybe im just a little emo?

Also i'd say Anna Molly is my favorite song on the album, I dunno why i just always start it on that song then hit random.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Fantastic album. I am addicted to the iTunes store and downloaded this last week. I have only listened to two Incubus albums - Light Grenades, which I like a lot, and ACLOTM, which I like even more. Which of their earlier albums should I download (legally, from the iTunes store, which [censored] rules) next?