Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 AM

Default The Wire

All in all, this was a pretty good season, and it's my favorite show. That said, was this not the worst season finale ever? Most of the first hour had decent content, but, the extra 20 minutes was unnecessary. It was as if the writers had just watched Lord of the Rings.

Also, why did they even include the Bubbles saga this season? He was tangential to almost everything and was not tied in well at all. Couldn't they have just done with him what they did to McNulty, give him an inconsequential appearance once ever 1-2 episodes instead of an unrelated story line in an already long, complicated show with multiple inter-related plots, that sometimes has to struggle to remain clearly related, much like this sentence? I like Bubbles, but the bubbles saga could have been removed and replaced with more developement in the Micheal/Randy/Duquan sagas, the school, the suits, the cops, the major players, or, everyone's favorite, Omar. I would have liked to see more clothes set on fire and more train track conversations.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: The Wire

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, this was a pretty good season, and it's my favorite show. That said, was this not the worst season finale ever? Most of the first hour had decent content, but, the extra 20 minutes was unnecessary. It was as if the writers had just watched Lord of the Rings.

[/ QUOTE ]

respectfully I disagree.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why did they even include the Bubbles saga this season? He was tangential to almost everything and was not tied in well at all. Couldn't they have just done with him what they did to McNulty, give him an inconsequential appearance once ever 1-2 episodes instead of an unrelated story line in an already long, complicated show with multiple inter-related plots, that sometimes has to struggle to remain clearly related, much like this sentence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thematically his story ties in with the theme of education and how hard it is to deal with youth, and i thought the story packed a real pop despite the fact that I saw Sherrod's OD coming.

[ QUOTE ]
I like Bubbles, but the bubbles saga could have been removed and replaced with more developement in the Micheal/Randy/Duquan sagas, the school, the suits, the cops, the major players, or, everyone's favorite, Omar. I would have liked to see more clothes set on fire and more train track conversations.

[/ QUOTE ]

The train track conversations were played out. McNulty moved on in season four, and to continue to focus on him and bunk would have been to service character at the expense of plot, something Simon, Burns, and co. would never do.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

respectfully I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you're disagreeing particularly about the critique and not the possitive part. I guess what I mean is, that it was as if they were just going from one sub pot to the next trying to tidy it up enough to call it a day and set us up for next season where Marlowe goes down. What I think happend is they tried to resolve every sub-plot at the expense of all of them. To be sure, the writers there did all they could to mask the fact that it was a series of quick resolutions, and they are really good writers.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, why did they even include the Bubbles saga this season? He was tangential to almost everything and was not tied in well at all. Couldn't they have just done with him what they did to McNulty, give him an inconsequential appearance once ever 1-2 episodes instead of an unrelated story line in an already long, complicated show with multiple inter-related plots, that sometimes has to struggle to remain clearly related, much like this sentence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thematically his story ties in with the theme of education and how hard it is to deal with youth, and i thought the story packed a real pop despite the fact that I saw Sherrod's OD coming.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is thematically related, but there are a plethra of other tales that would be thematically related, what, is missing is the story being tied in to the other ones.

And, yeah, the moment Bubbles was looking for poison I thought, this doesn't sound like a good idea, I bet Sherrod doesn't make it to the next episode.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like Bubbles, but the bubbles saga could have been removed and replaced with more developement in the Micheal/Randy/Duquan sagas, the school, the suits, the cops, the major players, or, everyone's favorite, Omar. I would have liked to see more clothes set on fire and more train track conversations.

[/ QUOTE ]

The train track conversations were played out. McNulty moved on in season four, and to continue to focus on him and bunk would have been to service character at the expense of plot, something Simon, Burns, and co. would never do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, agreed, but, they should have either tied the Bubbles saga into the rest or focused more on the rest. All he does is walk by other characters and get beaten up by this random guy who is loosely connected to the Marlowe crew, and has some brief dealings with the middle school, and does the old Bubbles hat trick once.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:36 AM

don't forget screwing herc...that was priceless.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He took it like a man....finally
Old 12-11-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh herc....

how about using Bubbs to show how Landsman's attitude and loyalties have changed. he actually throws it back, board be damned!

also, I could be wrong but i thought Sherrod was the guy who roughed up Namond outside Cutty's gym a few episodes ago.

anyways, the Bubbles story wasn't my favorite but i didn't think it was that tangential.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:20 AM

this was the best season. From what i have read that nest sean, will be the last. That caused me to almost hate the last episode, because it just left off like all the other seasons. Six feet under(only show on american tv i enjoyed more) ended there seasons better, and set up the next year very well. i just dont see how they can end this show next season...i just hope it leaks early again that way i dont have to wait week to week
Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this was the best season. From what i have read that nest sean, will be the last. That caused me to almost hate the last episode, because it just left off like all the other seasons. Six feet under(only show on american tv i enjoyed more) ended there seasons better, and set up the next year very well. i just dont see how they can end this show next season...i just hope it leaks early again that way i dont have to wait week to week

[/ QUOTE ]

The show's purpose is not to wrap things up consisely in every season, but to keep an unsentimental eye focued on Baltimore city life. I don't see how you the season finale failed in that respect.

I actually thought the SF wrapped up this season's slice of city life marvelously, and the storylines that culminated in the last episode left me totally satisfied. The dynamic between Webay and Colvin and the transformations of Namond and Michael during the season were executed perfectly.

Also, Vondas come back(!!!), and I can't fathom how you don't see a great season 5 brewing with Michael becoming a soldier and Prop Joe, Marlo, the Greeks and Omar going at each other.

Edit: Also, can someone tell me what the train tracks are a metaphor for in season 3? I'm a little slow on the uptake.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, Vondas come back(!!!), and I can't fathom how you don't see a great season 5 brewing with Michael becoming a soldier and Prop Joe, Marlo, the Greeks and Omar going at each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same way watching this. All this kept making me think about was how xmen 2 ended and then they screwed up the thrid one
Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same way watching this. All this kept making me think about was how xmen 2 ended and then they screwed up the thrid one

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so you felt the opposite way?