Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 03:12 AM

Default anyone know of a good hedge fund

I am looking for a hedge fund to park my money into. I type hedge fund in google and all i get is definitions and links to directory sites you have to pay to get hedge fund information. There has to be some free way to contact and open a hedge fund account. can anyone here help? site or phone number? what's minimum capital required (50k?)
Old 12-07-2006, 04:26 AM

Default Re: anyone know of a good hedge fund

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for a hedge fund to park my money into. I type hedge fund in google and all i get is definitions and links to directory sites you have to pay to get hedge fund information. There has to be some free way to contact and open a hedge fund account. can anyone here help? site or phone number? what's minimum capital required (50k?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure SAC requires $25 mil. Still want the phone number?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:29 PM

I run a hedge fund, and like most, we do not advertise, nor take on accounts from non-QEP (Qualified Eligible Person) investors. QEP roughly translates to USD $2M in "investment" funds. At $50k you will not be able to participate unless you start your own hedge fund [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Lets put it this way, if and when you DO get involved w/ a hedge fund, its because they found you, not the other way around.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:33 PM

Doesn't SEP peg you down at 1 mil net worth or making 200k a year to even hit a hedge fund... And aren't some mutual funds starting to blur the lines?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I run a hedge fund, and like most, we do not advertise, nor take on accounts from non-QEP (Qualified Eligible Person) investors. QEP roughly translates to USD $2M in "investment" funds. At $50k you will not be able to participate unless you start your own hedge fund [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Lets put it this way, if and when you DO get involved w/ a hedge fund, its because they found you, not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

This elitism is hilarious. A hedge fund recently went public. That means, anybody can buy in, with as little as $10.

http://www.hedgeco.net/news/06/2006/...edge-fund.html
Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 PM

It's not elitism. Its pretty standard from what I understand. The fund you listed is the exception, rather than the rule.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:11 PM

Check out the news today. SEC changing minimum requirements to $2.5m investable assets (have to exclude house,etc). Unbelievable political maneuver in that they exempted VENTURE CAPITAL funds, which are much riskier and entirely illiquid, from the new requirements.

Fking politicans.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not elitism. Its pretty standard from what I understand. The fund you listed is the exception, rather than the rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take some sardonicism in stride.

My point was, the guy is not who he claims to be. First off, hedge funds require a $1mil deposit due to SEC regulations (most likely to be raised to 2.5 in a recent SEC reg. overhaul, that includes tons of great news for the retail investor as far as margin codes, etc.) They do not require "some $2mil-ish". Furthermore, if you 'only' have 50k, you STILL can't start your 'own' hedge fund, due to the same regulation!

And do I need to point out most investors (nearly 30% of hedge fund assets are part of pension funds), DO seek out hedge funds? Not the other way around.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My point was, the guy is not who he claims to be. First off, hedge funds require a $1mil deposit due to SEC regulations (most likely to be raised to 2.5 in a recent SEC reg. overhaul, that includes tons of great news for the retail investor as far as margin codes, etc.) They do not require "some $2mil-ish". Furthermore, if you 'only' have 50k, you STILL can't start your 'own' hedge fund, due to the same regulation!

And do I need to point out most investors (nearly 30% of hedge fund assets are part of pension funds), DO seek out hedge funds? Not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is being discussed here is that most hedge funds are limited to accredited investors. The reason they limit themselves to accredited investors is it reduces the fund's liability and exempts the fund from filing with the SEC. And they don't require a "$1M deposit", different hedge funds have different investment minimums. It's the accredited investor exemption that details net worth and income requirements that may be soon increased. You can start your own hedge fund with any amount of money, though I've heard it will cost $30k in legal just to get started.

And hedge funds do seek out investors. As an example, someone has already posted on this thread asking the OP to PM them. Read "Hedgehogging" for an interesting take on how to raise money as a hedge fund, both from wealthy individuals, institutionals, and funds of funds.

The problem with most hedge funds that seek out new investors is to quote Groucho Marx, "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member". Any fund looking for investors is doing it because

a) it's run by brilliant unknown investor with a short track record desperate to find someone to believe in him (or her), who will likely reward you with outstanding performance. David Einhorn was once in this category.

or

b) it's a so-so fund that is poorly managed with a mediocre or non-existant track record and can't convince institutionals or smart money to invest or keep their money invested.

or

c) it's an outright scam.

If you are approached by a hedge fund, it's many more times likely that they are approaching you for reason B) than A). The less money they ask you for (and that you have) the more likely it's B or C.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Take some sardonicism in stride.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to help the OP understand that with $50k he is unlikely to be able to invest in any hedge fund.