Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Tossing chips to other players

I've seen this happen from time to time, but last night at AJ's it seemed like it happened every other hand - after the pot was pushed to the winner, he would take a chip and toss it to someone else at the table. One guy even tossed chips to three different people after one pot.

What's up with that?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Tossing chips to other players

Not enough info. Was he obviously friends w/ the people he was passin chips to? Or were they involved in that hand w/ him and he sucked out and felt bad so he refunded some of their chips? Maybe he was just wasted. Also it may have started by player A tossing a chip to player B. When player B won his next pot, he tossed it back, etc.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 AM

"lucky chip"

That's what I hear them say when they do that.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:30 AM

I see this all the time at Commerce low limits. Usually it happens after a guy wins a big pot. He throws a few chips to the guys he beats, as consolation.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:56 PM

The very first time i played at the Borgata a year and a half ago, there was a guy who had a great personality. He was ordering drinks for him and would always ask anyone if they got their drink or wanted something to snack or anything like that. Was just genuinely having a good time playing poker with people. He wasn't even like winning big or anything, just in a good mood maybe i don't know. He was playing a ton of hands, chasing a lot of draws. If he lost he hit the table and said good hand. He got runner runner on a hand with me to catch a flush when i flopped a set of kings. It was a very large pot for the stakes (1/2 nl est. $185) He threw three $5 chips my way and said I am sorry that happened. No one objected to that or even questioned that taking place. So that's breaking the rules though technically, him doing that for me.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 PM

Also called a "Karma Tax". I've done this several times to lighten up a game. Chip tossing is illegal, but once I've explained to the table what I'm doing and underline that it is completely voluntary the dealers usually let it slide.

The last time I did this the results were amazing. I explained what I was doing to the table and then looked at the gentleman 2 seats to my left and mentioned that he had not won a pot in over an hour and passed the "Karma Tax" to him. He won the next pot and passed the tax onto someone at the end of the table who hadn't won in a while. He won the next pot and it snowballed from there. All of a sudden everyone is gambling it up and even the grumpy old nits are having a reasonable time.

I've done this as a free-for-all type thing as well as like a "ping" described above. Either way it can be an effective means to change a table dynamic.

Have to get the dealer on-side though.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also called a "Karma Tax"

[/ QUOTE ]

I sucked out a straight flush vs nut flush for stacks in Shreveport once and the OP,while shocked, was nice about it. I tossed him a redbird as a karma token and he put it in blind, won the next 3 hands and started a run to over $200 in an hour.

I felt good about it
Old 12-06-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"lucky chip"

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually what I see is that when a player is running hot, a superstitious player will toss him a chip and say "lucky chip?", and then the winning player will toss one back from his stack.

Although last night I saw a player lose a pot and then try several times to tip the dealer anyway. The dealer simply wouldn't take the chip and kept throwing it back. Finally, the guy who lost the pot threw the chip to the guy who just won his money, saying something like "well somebody take it". The winner just quietly put the chip on his stack, which I thought was kinda classless.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a player lose a pot and then try several times to tip the dealer anyway. The dealer simply wouldn't take the chip and kept throwing it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

It feels weird getting a tip from the loser.
But I don't refuse tips.

After a brutal runner runner suckout the winner tossed
me a chip. I said thank you. The loser shouts "no, THANK
YOU, THANK YOU" and procedes to push me his whole stack.
I lock up the $30 or $40 and he orders a rack of chips.
Guess he didn't want those unlucky chips.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It feels weird getting a tip from the loser.
But I don't refuse tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't usually tip after winning. One, it feels weird, as if I'm paying the dealer for a win. Two, the dealer provides a service, and whether I'm winning or not good service should be rewarded.

Instead, I tip the dealer when there is a lull in the action, or before the dealer leaves, depending on how long each dealer is at the table.