Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 05:24 AM

Default ask KDawg about Jazz

I've seen numerous threads looking for Jazz advice in this section and OOT, and am generally miffed by most of the things that some people say(save for probably 3 or 4 posters). So, I want to help out those taht are just getting into this wonderful music, and those that seek further then they have started with. I've probably listened to over 5K albums of jazz alone in my short lifetime(26 years old). So, in some ways I do feel like I know a good amount about the genre as a whole

As far as credentials go, I was a jazz performance major at Rutgers university and studied tenor saxophone under Ralph Bowen(for those that know who he is).

Basically jazz has been my life since I was 12, and have probably listened to more saxophonists then I can really remember. that will be my bias, but the positive in it is that due to the nature of my instrument, I am also extremely familiar with tons of pianists and other rythym section instruments and other bandleaders in general.

My main, focus was on the bebop era and up to the early 70s, with some mixed in modern, so if you have any questions about the 20s or early 30s, I'm sorry as I don't know much about it.

I do however feel though that I can help many n00bs in jazz, and many that need the push forward. Fire away with any questions that you deem relevant, and I'll do my best to answer when I wake up and get back from class
Old 11-29-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Re: ask KDawg about Jazz

Just to get the ball rolling:

1. What was it that annoyed you about the advice given in the past threads? Was it everyone just saying "get this Miles album and ignore everything else" or did you think some of the suggestions given were just plain bad?
2. For someone with an almost perverse fascination with odd time signatures (and not just 3/4 and 5/4, but some really funky ones) and techinical mastery of your instrument what records would you suggest?
3. For someone who is somewhat familiar with Miles Davis and Coltrane, who is looking to branch out more what records would you suggest? More specifically, names like Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and others interest me.
4. Do you listen exclusively to jazz or do you also listen to other types of music?

[ QUOTE ]
save for probably 3 or 4 posters

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would you say gave good advice in the past threads?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. What was it that annoyed you about the advice given in the past threads? Was it everyone just saying "get this Miles album and ignore everything else" or did you think some of the suggestions given were just plain bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

a bit of both. It always seems that people recomend what they like as opposed to what will actually get someone into the music, so many suggestions are way out there and many times way too vauge

[ QUOTE ]
2. For someone with an almost perverse fascination with odd time signatures (and not just 3/4 and 5/4, but some really funky ones) and techinical mastery of your instrument what records would you suggest?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is hard, because more often then not, many players just stick to 4/4 and when they change things up, they go with 3/4. My former teacher was a nut case when it came to odd time signatures, so if you can find any of Ralph's albums(they will take a lot of searching) you will definetly come across some crazy stuff. I remember him having me practice countdown in 7/2, which he did on one of his albums. In general, you don't find many players playing in funky time signatures, though I have seen more and more younger and modern players doing this. Brad Mehldau comes to mind and so does Bill Frisell

[ QUOTE ]
3. For someone who is somewhat familiar with Miles Davis and Coltrane, who is looking to branch out more what records would you suggest? More specifically, names like Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and others interest me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will always recomend anything pre 60 sonny rollins to people. I have giving generalities like that, but almost everything he did was gold then. After he took a 14 month hiatus in 58/59 he changed his style up completely and has generally been a mixed bag since. I would also highly recomend to you Larry Young's Unity, this is pretty much one of the best albums of the 60s and of all time. You should also check out McCoy Tyner's the Real McCoy, and Blindly picking out Art Blakey albums from the late 50s and all through the 60s is always fun and generally rewarding

[ QUOTE ]
4. Do you listen exclusively to jazz or do you also listen to other types of music?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jazz is my first real love, but I listen to a lot of rock(mostly classic) and a decent amount of funk. Pretty much, if I hear it and like it, I'll listen to it

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
save for probably 3 or 4 posters

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would you say gave good advice in the past threads?

[/ QUOTE ]

wynton and turnipmonster spring to mind immeaditely
Old 12-02-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

John McLaughlin/ Mahavishnu Orchestra (eg Inner Mounting Flame). and in a slightly different vein, but I'll put it out there: Zappa.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

John McLaughlin/ Mahavishnu Orchestra (eg Inner Mounting Flame). and in a slightly different vein, but I'll put it out there: Zappa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already a big fan of both. (I think Birds of Fire > Inner Mounting Flame though)
Old 12-02-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Already a big fan of both. (I think Birds of Fire > Inner Mounting Flame though)

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. I've seen that one. will check out.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you listened to the lost trident sessions album. Probably the best mahavishnu orchestra that I've heard
Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you listened to the lost trident sessions album. Probably the best mahavishnu orchestra that I've heard

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I briefly listened to it or some tracks from it but it's definitely an album I'll have to give a 2nd go.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:34 AM

I like John Scofield a lot, but haven't listened to much other Jazz, any recommondations?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:16 PM

Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue"-Greatest Jazz album ever?