Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 AM

Default political compass

Someone mentioned this site in anoter thread.

www.politicalcompass.org

Take the test and report your results.

I'd do a poll, but I have no real idea how varried the results will be.

My # is -7.25/-6.67 Which is in the green zone or the economic libritarian/social left (a touch surprising).

Also, the results may show whether the test is biased.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:46 AM

Default Re: political compass

i stopped at the first question the first time it was posted. Questionaires of this type are to open ended and ambiguous to be an indicator of anything, if you think about the questions.

Eg: "If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

"rather" introduces a false dichotomy that cannot be overcome with the answers provided.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i stopped at the first question the first time it was posted. Questionaires of this type are to open ended and ambiguous to be an indicator of anything, if you think about the questions.

Eg: "If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

"rather" introduces a false dichotomy that cannot be overcome with the answers provided.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...but...

The question is getting at whether you think international commerce should be more or less regualated and what purpose IC should serve. There are a bunch of quesitons that try to get at this in a bunch of different ways. It's really easy to critique questions out of context, or even all of them individually, and maybe their methodology is wrong...I don't know. I found myself thinking "I neither agree nor disagree" to a lot of questions. And some of the questions I answered one way because of the logical implications where I knew they were trying to get at a different thing.

But just because you object to the framing of one question does not necessarily negate the overall scope of the test. Framing questions is a notoriously hard thing to do, esp. if you want to put it in a single format that people can do in 3-4 minuites.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...but...

The question is getting at whether you think international commerce should be more or less regualated and what purpose IC should serve. There are a bunch of quesitons that try to get at this in a bunch of different ways. It's really easy to critique questions out of context, or even all of them individually, and maybe their methodology is wrong...I don't know. I found myself thinking "I neither agree nor disagree" to a lot of questions. And some of the questions I answered one way because of the logical implications where I knew they were trying to get at a different thing.

But just because you object to the framing of one question does not necessarily negate the overall scope of the test. Framing questions is a notoriously hard thing to do, esp. if you want to put it in a single format that people can do in 3-4 minuites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly . Garbage in, garbage out and not worth the time for 6 pages of it.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:29 AM

Economic Left/Right: -6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.44

Closest to the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:24 AM

I'm fairly sure my score hovers around -6/-3, left libertarian as well. I also agree with the other responder that some questions are worded funny, and I wish they had a "no comment" answer option for them. But, it's a dumb 5 minute internet quiz taken for purely entertainment purposes and it's results should be taken with a grain of salt (as if you need to be told that). I can tell you for a fact that while signing my mortgage papers I tested further to the right at -6/0, which I found to be a pretty damned funny commentary on the state of property taxes in the greater chicagoland area!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 AM

Bitch, there's only one political compass around here:

FREEDOM
^
|
|
|
|
|
V
SLAVERY
Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bitch, there's only one political compass around here:

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I use this one primarily:

Pragmatism<----------->Ideology.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:41 AM

-7.30, -7.38.

Very close to OP's score. I think the ECON part is about accurate; the social part might me have to far on the left...but I suppose some things are ambigous between the two sides (e.g. is supporting a ban on trans fats an economic or social issue?)
Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very close to OP's score. I think the ECON part is about accurate; the social part might me have to far on the left...but I suppose some things are ambigous between the two sides (e.g. is supporting a ban on trans fats an economic or social issue?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd personally count that as social restriction.