Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Fatty encouragement

Cliff's notes: You can improve pretty quickly if you just start working out.

So my girlfriend signed me up for a half marathon coming in January, so I had intended to start training. This was 2 weeks ago, and I promptly broke a toe.

The toe was better last Thursday, but I waited until Sunday to start some sort o a program. Note that I haven't run for more than about 100 feet in 12 years, and smoked a pack a day for much of that time.

I'm also 6'6" 250.

The good: My leisurely jogging pace seems to be about 10-12 miles per hour.
The bad: I can't even jog for very long, and I think I understand why marathoners don't weigh 250.

I found a 2 mile loop, and have been "running" it each day.

Day 1: 23:58 <-- I almost killed myself when I saw the time. I also felt like I was having a heart attack for the last half of it. My heart actually hurt, and I felt pain with every beat.

Day 2: 20:48 <-- Better, and if I wasn't a moron to jog (the wrong way) to reel in an errant soccer ball for some dudes I think I break 20. Heart didn't hurt anymore, but the lungs were still wheezy.

Day 3: 19:35 <-- Yay another minute. This was the first day that I couldn't walk normally before the "run." I had to stretch for about 30 minutes before I could convince my legs to move the right way. 80% of my steps hurt, and every muscle in my legs was rippling. I had a hard time walking that night.

Day 4: 18:48 <-- I'm almost as fast as a fat high school girl now. The legs still hurt, and I thought that I'd have gone slower than the previous day. I came closest to throwing up on this one, but at least I broke the next minute barrier. Legs still hurt a lot, but not quite so much. Lungs are still terrible.

Anyhow, the times are disgusting, and I'm a lot slower than I would be comfortable with.

My legs were absolutely dead the last 2 times, but the cardiovascular improvements (I'm guessing that's all that can possibly be improving, as everything else hurts like hell) must be enough to get faster anyhow. I'm obviously not able to run very far without walking for a bit, but who gives a damn?

Oh, I've also been doing as many push-ups and sit-ups as I can fit in during the rest of my day. I can only do about 40 push-ups at once, and like 80 sit-ups. I got 40 pounds on a couple dumbbells that I use to work my biceps too. They're feeling stronger, but whatever - I'm still a pussy. I just do 12 reps per arm per set, and then a while later I'll do 12 more. I know this isn't optimal for strength building, but it's what I can fit in with the equipment I have available. I could probably do a lot more weight, but not for 12 reps. My form could suffer too, and then it'd be a worthless exercise.

I'm not going to be updating this, but I figured that it might inspire a fatty to do something healthy. Yeah, you might not be able to "safely" lose XX pounds of weight in YY days, but you can have marked improvement pretty quickly when you're starting from being a fat slob, like me.

Go get in shape!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Fatty encouragement

Your "Leisurely jog" is a 6 minute mile? I find that hard to believe.

Edit: However, if true, that could be the cause for not being able to jog very long. Slow it down a bit and push yourself to go a longer time.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM

pix of your gf pls
Old 11-15-2006, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pix of your gf pls

[/ QUOTE ]

No, though I think 15 2+2ers have met her at one point or another. They can feel free to share their opinions.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pix of your gf pls

[/ QUOTE ]

No, though I think 15 2+2ers have met her at one point or another. They can feel free to share their opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

15 on 1?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your "Leisurely jog" is a 6 minute mile? I find that hard to believe.

Edit: However, if true, that could be the cause for not being able to jog very long. Slow it down a bit and push yourself to go a longer time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I try to jog more slowly, my knees and shins start to hurt because I'm constantly decelerating. It feels like I'm running downhill. If I'm going to start bobbing up and down and doing the running motion for a walk, I may as well walk in the first place. If I'm going to run, I'll have a point where both feet are off the ground.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:06 PM

You sure you don't mean 10-12 minute mile?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM

12 miles/hr = 5 minute mile.

Refer to DirtyDiggs post for clarification.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 PM

you really are going to have to lose weight. a diet should be top on your list as well as the constant running.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you really are going to have to lose weight. a diet should be top on your list as well as the constant running.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been dieting too. No weight loss yet, but I'm not convinced I'll be able to lose much in the long run anyhow. I'll be able to get rid of the gut, but I'll likely build some muscle and be at 250 again.

@not running every day
If I don't run every day, I won't stick to it. If I'm hurting too bad, I'll just walk it for a couple days. If I take a day off, I'll just take the next day off too. It's obviously not optimal, but it's better than being sedentary.