Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 04:35 AM

Default Am I giving too much action in these situations?

Villian here is a fellow traveller. There is absolutely no way he is 3-betting PF out of position with QT.

I am including the results in white because this kind of thing is happening to me repeatedly. Does anyone slow down sooner here? Should I have lost more?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.95 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 9s 9d (three of a kind, nines).
Hero has Kc Jh (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: SB wins 13.95 BB. </font>
Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Am I giving too much action in these situations?

flop is fine, but i don't think i cap the turn.

don't post results.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 AM

i think i play it the same but sometimes wimp out on the turn cap.

AK would play like this no? so i think turn cap is ok.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian here is a fellow traveller. There is absolutely no way he is 3-betting PF out of position with QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your fellow traveller could certainly be three-betting out of position with AK, AA, QQ and TT. I jam the flop.

SpaceAce
Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I jam the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be to try to take back control after his preflop 3-bet. And may make his set easier to read.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM

there is nothing wrong with waiting for the turn to raise IMO. but the turn cap is spew.

also, bad move by fellow traveler to bet the river.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I jam the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be to try to take back control after his preflop 3-bet. And may make his set easier to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't detail my reasons but that is definitely one of them. When I raise and call a three-bet pre-flop then cap a flop with two Broadway cards and the three-bettor leads back into me on the turn, well, I'm willing to listen to what he's trying to tell me.

SpaceAce
Old 02-01-2006, 05:54 AM

Are you giving too much action? I think it strongly depends on your read of the opponent. Is he capable of going nuts on the turn w/ AK or AA? I'd probably cap the turn here as well, but once he donks the river I'd just call down.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:34 AM

Your flop play sucks. Why aren't you raising here? You have top two pair, you have the best hand the vast majority of the time. Villain says he likes his hand enough to keep betting at you so you should oblige him. He could very easily have AA / AK here which you have crushed. You want him to pay the most when he's behind, not give him a cheap card to make an expensive second best hand for you on the turn.

As for the results of this hand, you could have saved a few bets on this hand if you had have done the same thing and raised the flop. He'd 3-bet it and then you'd cap it. He would then lead the turn, at which point you might have the foresight to slowdown, fearing KK/JJ/99. He could always smoothcall your flop raise and then checkraise the turn, but hopefully you'd slow down there too. You should be capping one of these streets; make it the flop. It's cheaper that way when he does have you beaten.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 PM

I just call the 3bet on the turn, not sure I would raise the turn? (too weak?) Tought to think with that much aggression he only has AK or a straight draw