Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Deep stacked 10/20 against aggro Villian

7 handed, I have 4500, villian covers. Villian in this hand is very aggro - I have seen him run 3-barrel bluffs in position. Against other players at the table, he also has come over the top of blocking bets on the river and then showed missed draws, or generally weak hands. He is very capable of making moves.

I have been card-dead for a while now, so my image is tight. I doubled up with a flopped straight vs. a set earlier, and havent shown down too many hands.

Anyway, I open-raise black 99 in MP to 70, Villian re-raises to 300 from the button. I call.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Pot = 630.

I check, he bets 600, I call.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Pot = 1830.

I bet $600...

Is this good against this type of villian? I'm trying to make it look like QQ trying to get to showdown - is this bet likely to induce a raise, or is Villian more likely to just call.

If Villian does call, action for the river? Another "blocking bet"? 1/2 pot? All-in? CR?

Thanks

D
Old 01-31-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Deep stacked 10/20 against aggro Villian

I like a bet on the flop. Villain could easily come over the top. I think the stop n go basically gives out the information that you have a 9(although its tough for him to put you on a 9 If he has been paying enough attention).

If he calls, I like a half-pot on the river. I think you played it fine on the turn. That turn bet looks weak but at the same time its not goofy.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:26 PM

After your check/call on the flop, I think I prefer a check/call on the turn and then a "blocking bet" on the river. Leading the flop is actually not too bad, given that it's a reraised pot, and there's no reason to put you on a 9.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:30 PM

yeah, check call turn and lead river is much better imo.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, check call turn and lead river is much better imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Roark is correct.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:33 PM

I also like a lead on the flop. Unless the villain thinks you will call that huge reraise with A9s or T9s, the only hands that beat his overpair are 33 and 99, and the 99 is very unlikely. If he has aces or kings, you will get paid off this way. If not, maybe he'll still realize there are few real hands you can have here and play back at you with his AK or 87s.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:44 PM

I disagree. Leading the flop allows Villain to get away from a weak hand such as AK-A10, any suited connectors, and low PP.

With an aggressive villain who represented great strength preflop why not let him continue betting?

I believe check calling the flop and check calling the turn will allow you get the maximum value out of the hand because you will allow the agg villain to continue betting.

If villain does in fact have AA or KK I do not think it matters how you play the hand, lead the flop or check call, I still think you are going to get paid. Check calling allows you to capitalize on his continuation bets with trash hands.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Leading the flop allows Villain to get away from a weak hand such as AK-A10, any suited connectors, and low PP.

With an aggressive villain who represented great strength preflop why not let him continue betting?

I believe check calling the flop and check calling the turn will allow you get the maximum value out of the hand because you will allow the agg villain to continue betting.

If villain does in fact have AA or KK I do not think it matters how you play the hand, lead the flop or check call, I still think you are going to get paid. Check calling allows you to capitalize on his continuation bets with trash hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the stacks are deep enough that maximizing our value from a hand like AT shouldn't be as important as getting that one extra bet out of AA. The last thing we want is to allow him to see a showdown without putting all his chips in.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:59 PM

Like I said in my post. If the guy does in fact have AA I do not think it matters how we play the hand. We are still going to get paid.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the stacks are deep enough that maximizing our value from a hand like AT shouldn't be as important as getting that one extra bet out of AA. The last thing we want is to allow him to see a showdown without putting all his chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

the last thing we want if for villain to fold a hand he would have bluffed with or caught something with.