Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Flopped a str8 but flop is suited

Live 6/12 game, pretty loose/passive. 4 limpers to me and I call with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. 7 of us see the flop of J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB bets, 3 callers, guy on my right raises. Is this a raise or fold situation or do I call down hoping to avoid another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Flopped a str8 but flop is suited

I think you played well preflop. What position were you in? If you were button you could raise. However, I think a call is good from late middle.

This is how I would play the flop. Hopefully I'm correct here. I would reraise because I think I have the best hand, and to knock out other [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s from behind me, and to make anyone with a high [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], set or other draw pay for their draw.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 PM

I was in the cut-off seat. The SB betting out had me worried and with all the callers I figured no one was folding a club at this point so I called...

My thinking was that raising would just induce a 4 bet from anyone with a big club and I still wouldn't know where I'm at. I figured I'd wait for a safe turn card to try to get small clubs to fold.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in the cut-off seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm torn between raising and calling preflop. I think either option is fine.

[ QUOTE ]
The SB betting out had me worried and with all the callers I figured no one was folding a club at this point so I called...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're highly likely to be ahead here. If you know they won't fold a club or any other draw, I think it's important to raise to make them pay for these draws.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:06 AM

Ok, some of what I read in response to this has been utter spew.

You're in the cutoff with KJs. 4 Limps to you, RAISE IT! KJs in late position in a pot that has not yet been raised is in fact a hand you would want to make a raise with. Remember, you are trying to maximize the value of your hand.

And especially on a loose/passive table.

On the flop: 7 People. You probably have the best hand right now, but the chances of someone drawing out on you, if they haven't flopped a flush already, are huge. SB bets, he gets 3 calls, then the other guy raises...

If you raise him, everyone else faces 2 more bets compared to facing only 1 more bet in the event you call. They are going to call 1 more bet because the pot odds are quite large here. They might fold when it's 2 more bets. If the pot gets capped after you raise, FOLD. You're beaten.

So... Raise PF. 3-Bet the turn and fold to a 4 bet. Also... if you make it to the turn and a club falls, GET OUT!

Hope this helps. (If anyone disagrees with me, let me know, and why. I'm trying to improve my game too!)
Old 11-05-2006, 06:07 PM

acesovercole: no need to disagree.. i would do the same thing. I'll make it 3 bets on the flop to find out who has what (3 small bets is the right price to do this).. that will drive out some stupid straight draws or 1 card flush draws. With so much action, if anybody did flop a flush, they will no longer slow play it (charging sets and two pairs full price to draw).. so if its capped coming back to you, you can let it go easily.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 PM

You nailed it, this is awesome advice. I need to assume my hand is best until there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I've been running bad for a few weeks and I'm assuming the worst. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:22 PM

It is unlikely that anyone has the flush yet and two thirds of the time another club will not fall. We should get all the money that we can into this pot while we can. Also, it would not hurt to chase out a small club with a re-raise.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:25 PM

I would probably raise preflop. Big suited cards in position against loose/passives calls for pumping the pot.

As played, I would probably 3-bet and take it from there. Obviously if another club falls, my cards are booked on a one-way flight into the muck. Either bettor could have flopped a flush, or the raiser could just be holding the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I would also agree with a fold...
Old 11-04-2006, 11:39 PM

I don't bloat the pot just yet. Call and see how the action ensues. If SB 3 bets the flop you can probably just fold your hand right there on the flop. If you raise, you can probably fold to a cap on the flop as well, and will perhaps receive more informative information. But I think I'd rather just call until I get more information.