Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Wisconsin exploits new college kickoff clock rules

At the end of the first half, UW scored a TD to go up by 7 with about 20-25 seconds left.
On the kickoff, UW had everybody offsides by 5-10 yards when the ball was kicked. 5 yard penalty rekick, but now there's only 14 seconds left.
On the next kickoff, they do the same thing. Everyone is offsides by 5-10 yards. At the end of the return there's now 4 seconds left.
Then they squib it, and the half is over.
Nice work by UW to exploit the rules, but college football obviously has to do something about their clock rules if teams are intentionally committing penalties to their advantage.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Wisconsin exploits new college kickoff clock rules

Wow, that's a nice little trick. I'd like to see this if anyone can find a YouTube link or something.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:47 PM

Ball State should have done that for the rest of the game.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:49 PM

Surprised nobody has done this before, not to mention committing offensive penalties that result in the clock being restarted after the ball is set. There was a post here a while ago talking about that one. NCAA needs to change the rules. Amazing that more coaches haven't taken advantage of these stupid rules. However, I have never put a lot of faith in the intelligence of coaches.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surprised nobody has done this before, not to mention committing offensive penalties that result in the clock being restarted after the ball is set. There was a post here a while ago talking about that one. NCAA needs to change the rules. Amazing that more coaches haven't taken advantage of these stupid rules. However, I have never put a lot of faith in the intelligence of coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it.

Like false start penalties(clock running prior to snap). Clock runs after ball is spotted.

b
Old 11-04-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it.

Like false start penalties(clock running prior to snap). Clock runs after ball is spotted.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one who knew about this. I was calling for us (Michigan) to do it against Ball State with a minute left (and how wrong does that sound?). It may be cheap, but it's legal. Plus, the sooner someone does it the sooner someone will realize it and end this loophole.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I didn't think about the fact that their coverage on the K.O. will be virtually unbeatable because of the 5-yard starting advantage.
So I guess there isn't much risk to always kicking it away over and over again like that.

But you couldn't run the WHOLE clock down doing this over and over I don't think.
Because the team CAN just opt to decline the penalty and take the ball on the 15 or the 25 or wherever they caught it.

I kind of like my idea better where the kicked just kicks it to one of his own guys standing 5 yards in front of the ball.
He falls on it and downs it. A few seconds tick-off each time. Sure, the ball didn't travel the mandatory 10 yds. But who cares? Each time it is kicked and recovered by the kicking team I don't think there is anything the receiving team can do.

I don't think the receiving team could 'decline' the penalty because that would mean that the kicking team that recovered it would still get the ball.
And it seems a lot safer than booming it all the way down field where the receiving team can actually still try to set up a return...or can just catch the ball and decline the penalty.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the team CAN just opt to decline the penalty and take the ball on the 15 or the 25 or wherever they caught it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, they can? I thought, since its a dead-ball foul, the kick never really "occurs," and so it has to be rekicked, and the receiving team has no option to accept or decline.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of like my idea better where the kicked just kicks it to one of his own guys standing 5 yards in front of the ball.
He falls on it and downs it. A few seconds tick-off each time. Sure, the ball didn't travel the mandatory 10 yds. But who cares? Each time it is kicked and recovered by the kicking team I don't think there is anything the receiving team can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they changed the penalty for not kicking it 10 yards from a yardage penalty to the receiving team gets it at the spot it was illegallly touched. I am not much of a football fan, but I can remmeber watchign a game when I was little that involved redoing the onside kick 5 yards further back each time becasue the kicking team grabbed it before it went 10 yards, but I thought that was since changed.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 PM

It probably should have been unsportsmanlike conduct after the second one and they should have put time back on the clock.