Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Default the age of * is over

It's dumb, it's always been dumb, it arguably goes against what the forums should be, it makes no sense from a 2p2 is primarily a business point of view, and, from a practical point of view, the fact that every month seems to bring more *s than the previous one should be enough to demonstrate it simply isn't working.

I never really cared about the *s because it was primarily an OOT thing, but that's obviously not the case anymore, there's posts about this in multiple forums (including this one*).
*one here can = post or forum, depending on your mood.

In my opinion, it's obviously time to do away with these, but maybe I'm alone.

BTW, if you have a *, don't use this thread to bitch about it pls.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Re: the age of * is over

I think I disagree with each point in your first point.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it arguably goes against what the forums should be,

[/ QUOTE ]
why?
[ QUOTE ]
it makes no sense from a 2p2 is primarily a business point of view,

[/ QUOTE ]
why?
[ QUOTE ]
from a practical point of view, the fact that every month seems to bring more *s than the previous one should be enough to demonstrate it simply isn't working.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that the standard? I think would be better just to ban/exile the posters after two * instead of three, is that better?
[ QUOTE ]
I never really cared about the *s because it was primarily an OOT thing, but that's obviously not the case anymore, there's posts about this in multiple forums (including this one*).

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's only an OOT thing. No other forum does it. Doesn't it make sense to talk about 2p2 policies in this forum? The only other place its discussed is BBV, being that everyone their pretty much hates OOT.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's sooo obvious but you can't give any actual reasons why.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:41 PM

Also I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions to your OP points that you pulled directly out of your ass, those being...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why?
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why?
[ QUOTE ]
from a practical point of view, the fact that every month seems to bring more *s than the previous one should be enough to demonstrate it simply isn't working.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that the standard? I think would be better just to ban/exile the posters after two * instead of three, is that better?
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's only an OOT thing. No other forum does it. Doesn't it make sense to talk about 2p2 policies in this forum? The only other place its discussed is BBV, being that everyone their pretty much hates OOT.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Back of Theory of Poker:
"For the best discussion of poker and gambling on the Internet, visit our website at www.twoplustwo.com"
Actual Two Plus Two forums:
Your picture of Jessica Alba is too big? Your branded an idiot, loser!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Left hand: "Please Come To Our Site, Click our Ads, Buy Our Books."
Right hand: "[censored] Off."

Imagine someone who reads TOP and then visits 2p2 based on the ad on the back, he's just playing around getting his feet wet has a few posts, then he goes to OOT sees a thread about his favorite movie and posts a picture related to it. Suddenly he finds himself branded a "tard" according to the OOT sticky. He thinks, chuck you farley, there goes another customer.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To the limited extent that I care, I don't understand the last part of the question, but what I'm saying is this:
Say you have a city where there are no traffic laws and a lot of people are driving really fast. City decides this is bad, they create speed limits and start handing out tickets with the aim of curbing speeding. If after a year of handing out tickets left, right and center there is more speeding than ever with no residual effects of the ticketing, probably time to start thinking about conceding defeat and moving on.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Other mods have dealt with * issues, The * reply is used throughout 2p2, Users have to carry the * in all the forums, long time users lose their custom title which often have a lot to do with a particular other forum where maybe they won a challenge or something, ... . Its not an OOT thing, and what's worse it could be, but OOT doesn't really want it to be.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I already did.

Now I answered your because you were pestering me about it, but in the future don't just ask 'why' 'why' 'why' until you lose your breath, it's what 5 year olds do. Think for 5 seconds, figure it out. Also you said you wouldn't post here again if I didn't answer them. Pretend I didn't.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Back of Theory of Poker:
"For the best discussion of poker and gambling on the Internet, visit our website at www.twoplustwo.com"
Actual Two Plus Two forums:
Your picture of Jessica Alba is too big? Your branded an idiot, loser!

[/ QUOTE ]
First, you're supposed to read the faq before posting.
second, your not branded a loser, it's branded that you have one strike against you for violating rules.
Third, I think * for oversized pictures are lame.
[ QUOTE ]
Left hand: "Please Come To Our Site, Click our Ads, Buy Our Books."
Right hand: "[censored] Off."

Imagine someone who reads TOP and then visits 2p2 based on the ad on the back, he's just playing around getting his feet wet has a few posts, then he goes to OOT sees a thread about his favorite movie and posts a picture related to it. Suddenly he finds himself branded a "tard" according to the OOT sticky. He thinks, chuck you farley, there goes another customer.

[/ QUOTE ]
same as above.
[ QUOTE ]
To the limited extent that I care, I don't understand the last part of the question, but what I'm saying is this:
Say you have a city where there are no traffic laws and a lot of people are driving really fast. City decides this is bad, they create speed limits and start handing out tickets with the aim of curbing speeding. If after a year of handing out tickets left, right and center there is more speeding than ever with no residual effects of the ticketing, probably time to start thinking about conceding defeat and moving on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Horrible anology. Do you think it's Ok for people to speed?
[ QUOTE ]
Other mods have dealt with * issues, The * reply is used throughout 2p2, Users have to carry the * in all the forums, long time users lose their custom title which often have a lot to do with a particular other forum where maybe they won a challenge or something, ... . Its not an OOT thing, and what's worse it could be, but OOT doesn't really want it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one's forcing them to break OOT's rules. Your custom title is on the line if you choose to break them. And while maybe a few forums will have problems with people posting * in strat forums, I can't imagine it's hard to solve. For god sakes it's against OOTs rules to post that anyway.
[ QUOTE ]
in the future don't just ask 'why' 'why' 'why' until you lose your breath, it's what 5 year olds do.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the future don't post stupid unbacked assertions. See that's something you could have learned from the politics forum, damn.
[ QUOTE ]
Think for 5 seconds, figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't because what you said is wrong.
[ QUOTE ]
Also you said you wouldn't post here again if I didn't answer them. Pretend I didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Naw, I'll just keep pestering you for posting retarded garbage like "* make no sense from a business perspective".
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I know if my custom title were to be taken away to be replaced by some retarded * I would be pretty pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I'd bet you think twice about how much your post sucks before you post it in OOT, right? Or if you didn't, and said * replaced your title, you wouldn't make the same sucky mistake in the future, right?

Sounds like the system works pretty well to me.

Yes, of course the * system is at least partially about punishment. But that's a good thing. The worst retardation that happens on the internet always occurs because people think they can rush their fat little fingers over their keyboard and post whatever they want without consequence. Implement consequences, and you curb the idiocy sharply.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:30 AM

I pretty much just skipped all of KneeCo's posts, but this part caught my eye:

[ QUOTE ]
Suddenly he finds himself branded a "tard" according to the OOT sticky. He thinks, chuck you farley, there goes another customer.

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems exactly the opposite to me. New users care much less about the * than established, "respected" posters. This thread and TWP's both have way more responses - heated, serious, upset responses - than any similar threads by users with less than a couple hundred posts.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I know if my custom title were to be taken away to be replaced by some retarded * I would be pretty pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I'd bet you think twice about how much your post sucks before you post it in OOT, right? Or if you didn't, and said * replaced your title, you wouldn't make the same sucky mistake in the future, right?

Sounds like the system works pretty well to me.

Yes, of course the * system is at least partially about punishment. But that's a good thing. The worst retardation that happens on the internet always occurs because people think they can rush their fat little fingers over their keyboard and post whatever they want without consequence. Implement consequences, and you curb the idiocy sharply.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) So why isn't it working? (and yes, I'm saying as a matter of fact that it isn't)

2) more importantly, why does a non-OOT user have to hear about it? There are ways to keep this just in OOT, why not implement one?
Old 10-28-2006, 07:59 PM

DAMN THE MAN!