Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Ethical or not?

I know I'm not a HSNL poster but I thought this was the most appropriate place to ask this since the HSNL crowd know each other very well and play against each other often.

If you are playing at the same table as someone that you chat with on AIM or MSN and consider a good friend how far can you go before you consider something unethical.

A) You share reads/patterns on your opponents
B) You discuss strategy DURING the play of a hand
C) You don't call raises from your friend when you have "bust hands" like small pairs and suited connnectors
D) You softplay against him and one of you check/folds when the other bets in a HU pot.

I would appreciate any other things you think of too.

Obviously squeezing a third party or sharing cards is very unacceptable.

I ask this because I have just recently been playing with a friend online (less than 500 hands) so that I could track him through PT and give him some advice, we have ran into each other a few times HU and it feels awkard playing pots with him. I'm trying to see where I should draw the line. IMO its somwhere around B/C.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Ethical or not?

a friend that requires you to softplay him/fold "bust hands" against isnt a friend. hes an idiot.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 PM

That's pretty much my feeling. I don't have friends like that.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing at the same table as someone that you chat with on AIM or MSN and consider a good friend how far can you go before you consider something unethical.
A) You share reads/patterns on your opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

sure.

[ QUOTE ]
B) You discuss strategy DURING the play of a hand

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely not.
[ QUOTE ]
C) You don't call raises from your friend when you have "bust hands" like small pairs and suited connnectors

[/ QUOTE ]
if i do this its bc my 'buddy' is a very strong player and i dont want marginal situations against him, so i might fold 45s in bb if he raises button, but not bc i dont want to bust him.

[ QUOTE ]
D) You softplay against him and one of you check/folds when the other bets in a HU pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely not, this is blatent cheating ala pokerstars/lee jones/twin & h@ll.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:53 PM

I dont have that big a problem with b), provided only one of you is left in the hand.

One thing a couple of AIM buddies have done with me, that is unethical (tho they didnt realise), is tell me whta they folded after I tell them what I had. This gives me an unfair informational advantage. Thankfull they all desisted after I pointed out their errors.

Dean
Old 10-27-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont have that big a problem with b), provided only one of you is left in the hand.

One thing a couple of AIM buddies have done with me, that is unethical (tho they didnt realise), is tell me whta they folded after I tell them what I had. This gives me an unfair informational advantage. Thankfull they all desisted after I pointed out their errors.

Dean

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really unethical though? It is their choice to tell you what they folded, and assuming you discuss strategy together, what they chose to fold/call/raise with each hand surely goes along these lines.

Unless you mean they say something while the hand is still being played....
Old 10-27-2006, 02:01 PM

A) whatever, he will likely figure out the obvious patterns very fast by himself also. So not a big deal.

B) Very unethical if it's about specific hand and you both are still in. It's borderline even if there is only one of you left.

C) Who would do this? If I dont call raises with those hands against someone it has nothing to do if he is someone I know or not. It's double the fun to play big pots against peolpe you know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

D) Unethical and often ruins the game.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:02 PM

sorry to hijack, but the term "bust hand" is a pretty big misconception unless your friend is a huge nit
Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM

He is, but I know what you mean.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dean

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really unethical though? It is their choice to tell you what they folded, and assuming you discuss strategy together, what they chose to fold/call/raise with each hand surely goes along these lines.

Unless you mean they say something while the hand is still being played....

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that they tell me while I am still in the hand.