Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 AM

Default JohnnyBax flames my call.

About 25 left in the 55k gnt. I've played at the same table as Bax more than one hour, and I'm currently top ten in chips. During this time, I've been playing tight. I've built my stack making good calls in the blinds from button pushes, and some resteals. Bax knows, in this hand, that I have a big hand. It's my first utgraise he has seen. Yet he pushes, then comments my 'bad call' saying (In caps lock) AQ WAS OBV. "AHEAD OF MY RANGE THERE" since I maximun had a race. However, I do think pot odds did warrant it. I wouldn't post this if it wasn't for his comment on my call.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30000 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO (t572207)
Button (t161522)
SB (t454682)
BB (t293340)
UTG (t337678)
UTG+1 (t778708)
Hero (t573303)
MP2 (t582269)
MP3 (t297353)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75000</font>, MP2 calls t75000, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t291840</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t571803</font>, MP2 folds.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Re: JohhnyBax flames my call.

pretty easy call getting close to 2 to 1 on what could be a squeeze. You don't need to be ahead just have 35-40% equity on his range which you do with AQo.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:27 AM

WTF? this is totally fine. Why is Bax being a dick?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 AM

I do agree with newbie but def NOT a terrible call. However with your stack I would don't want to give up my chip position for what looks to be a 50-50 at best. But that probably explains why I am always making the final table with a crippled stack..LOL
Old 10-27-2006, 11:37 AM

lol, yeah, Bax is a great player. He can get emotional, and that's entertainin' his railers. Pretty sure once he walks away from the monitor, he's got a great life and doesn't faze the beats.

Edit: Great call, btw, Vraket.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:45 AM

"AQ was obv"? Would you have played AK differently? Or AA for that matter?

Maybe he has a pattern map.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need to be ahead just have 35-40% equity on his range which you do with AQo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't need to be ahead just have 35-40% equity on his range which you do with AQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know. This is totally standard for me, what amazed me, and made me curios, was that such a comment came from such a great player. I was like "Wtf did I miss something". Hence the post.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM

Being a newbie I take it that my reasoning below for a fold could very very well be flawed. But I'm trying to learn, so please be gentle.

I think a fold is certainly an option here. The fact that you do have odds is not the only consideration governing your decision. Right now your in top ten with a, far from ideal, but workable stack. Should you lose, you will drop to push/fold with, in addition, the blinds hitting you pretty soon. From the BB point of view, a squeeze with air is very unlikely. He sees an EP raise, representing great strength, coming from a tight player. He must have you at least on TT+ AQ+. The CC can hardly be a speculative hand, since he isn't that deep either. Most likely 99-JJ or AQ (I'd say he'd re-raise AK). So the BB must be aware that very probably he is gonna get called. All in all, he needs a monster to shove, something like QQ+ AK. Where the BB probably is very willing to end up with a coin flip situation, considering his 10BB stack, you might just not be yet. You can still fold and await a better situation, because the coin flip is really the best you can hope for, but you might very easily be dominated. You being ahead is practically out of the question. With AQo, such heavy action, and a stack that does leave you some breathing space, a fold just might be an option imo, regardless of the odds being offered.

Bax flaming......the least said about that, the better. I've seen him do it on several occasions and I can't see why a player of his standard doesn't consider that to be way beneath him. Horrible.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you do have odds is not the only consideration governing your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]I see no reason why we'd consider anything else. We aren't close enough to large pay increases for $EV and cEV to be too different here. We still need to get FT chips, so no reason to give up equity by folding.