Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 05:31 AM

Default If God Gave Every Individual Human Free Will

then how is it they every one, including those not yet born, must necessarily deserve to go to hell? If it is beyond the capacity of a human to behave sinlessly or however would be necessary to get into heaven without a "pardon", then humans don't have free will.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Re: If God Gave Every Individual Human Free Will

Are you saying religions don't make any logical sense?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 AM

Yes Free will contradicts "God's omniscience."
Old 10-24-2006, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Just his omnipotence.

Well. It could be an initial starting condition for life. Damned to eternal meaninglessness and no chance of paradise if you don't "pass his moral standards".

<shrugs> Kinda silly if you ask me.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
This always bothers me because its seems such a silly idea of omnipotence. Imagine a being that's all but omnipotent, he could create a world with free-will and somethings were unknown to him no problem voila! there it is. Suddenly this god becomes a teeny bit more powerful acheieves omnipotence and there's all this stuff he suddenly cannot do.

In fact there's nothing extra he can do and all this stuff he cant do, so his less powerful than before and can't possible have acheived omnipotence. He was omnipotent before.

chez
Old 10-24-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
This always bothers me because its seems such a silly idea of omnipotence. Imagine a being that's all but omnipotent, he could create a world with free-will and somethings were unknown to him no problem voila! there it is. Suddenly this god becomes a teeny bit more powerful acheieves omnipotence and there's all this stuff he suddenly cannot do.

In fact there's nothing extra he can do and all this stuff he cant do, so his less powerful than before and can't possible have acheived omnipotence. He was omnipotent before.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider the ways he can self-censor himself. I didn't say he wasn't originally omnipotent, did I? Just that for the experiment to grow right, he's gotta stop putting his hands in the pot.

Telling God what to do. What a week.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 AM

Yes, to have free will would require the ability to not participate in the game. To be forced to it, worse, without explicit and obvious rules, invalidates the meaning of freewill.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then how is it they every one, including those not yet born, must necessarily deserve to go to hell? If it is beyond the capacity of a human to behave sinlessly or however would be necessary to get into heaven without a "pardon", then humans don't have free will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't follow any more than because I can't fly by flapping my arms means I haven't got free will.

This deserve to go to hell its such a noxious idea but it could work like trying to get into a cricket team. You can use free-will to train and apply but in the end you need to be selected which is more down to who you know and where you went to school.

chez
Old 10-24-2006, 05:43 PM

"Doesn't follow any more than because I can't fly by flapping my arms means I haven't got free will."

That's a ridiculous comment. Unless the term free will doesn't include the ability to stop yourself from doing something.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Doesn't follow any more than because I can't fly by flapping my arms means I haven't got free will."

That's a ridiculous comment. Unless the term free will doesn't include the ability to stop yourself from doing something.

[/ QUOTE ]
No its pointing out that we could deserve to go to hell because of things we are unable to do rather than things that we do.

chez