Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 06:52 PM

Default $2-$2 PLO Hand, what is standard?

I haven't played much PLO recently after putting in 50k hands of hold'em on Party until it shut down for the US.
Switched sites now and they have some decent games going, but I still feel very rusty.

I've only just joined this table, and posted in the cutoff. Villain is on the button, no reads at all.

Stacks:
Seat 1: Hero ($200 in chips)
Seat 2: Villain ($287 in chips)
Seat 3: XX ($180 in chips)
Seat 4: XX ($228.40 in chips)
Seat 5: XX ($86.50 in chips)
Seat 6: XX ($155.10 in chips)
Seat 7: XX ($157 in chips)
Seat 8: XX ($207.50 in chips)
Seat 9: XX ($173.40 in chips)
Seat 10: XX ($39.15 in chips)

Dealt to Hero: 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 limpers, I should raise this preflop shouldn't I?, Villain limps, blinds check.
I would normally raise here, but first hand at the table I play a bit tighter.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to me, I pot for $16, Villain on the button repots for $45, folded around back to me...

1) Re-raise now?
2) Call and do what on a blank turn assuming I check and Villain pots it?
3) Call and do what on a non-pairing [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn card?
4) Call and do what on a 9 or T (no flush)?
5) Call and do what if the turn is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: $2-$2 PLO Hand, what is standard?

Interesting. I'm not sure what the perfect way to play the hand is here. I think you can repot here and get it all-in if you feel like gambling - you have 9 nut outs and a fair few others to improve. If you call his raise I like to bet out the pot on the turn unimproved - give him the hard decision to make, and you have an obvious call if he goes all-in.

Non-pairing heart is a tough one. Arguments can be made for check-folding, check-raising, and leading out, and the difficulty here lies in stack sizes. I think you can lead out for half the pot here and fold to an all-in.
If the turn is a 9 or T I like a check-raise all-in.
I wonder why you specify the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], is it because he had the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? I infer that he had top two here and maybe boated up on the turn. In any case I lead out for the whole pot on the turn here and call any raise.

I like a raise preflop here but you don't have to. If as you say you're feeling rusty why not just limp and hope to hit big? If you were to raise it I don't like a full PSB with this hand (if double-suited, maybe), half-pot does the trick and allows you plenty of room to call a reraise.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM

Oh I must specify that I subscribe to the theory that, especially at the lower limits, you should assume your opponent is a donkey without any other specific information. My play against unknown opponents is certainly different from other players who might afford their opponents some respect.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you call his raise I like to bet out the pot on the turn unimproved - give him the hard decision to make, and you have an obvious call if he goes all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line too personally
Old 10-22-2006, 11:24 PM

laf,

I would raise this preflop after four limpers just to build a nice little pot because you have a good hand to gamble with.

I wouldn't raise if it there were two or less limpers.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:32 PM

you have to put him on a top set which you cannot count your pairs as outs,so assuming that ,you dont put him on having the higher flush draw,you can only make a nut straight with a 9 or an ace,you have 14 outs to hit on the turn,about 28 percent,so play it out if you just call 4 different times,your gonna hit about 1-4 so you spend 45 3 times and hit on the fourth so you spend 135 and on the fourth time you hit,depending if he pays you off ,you might win 200 ,so its only a 65 dollar ev,thats if he pays you off when you hit ,which is highly unlikely,the right play is to fold in my book ,now if the player is loosy goosy,i would go all in bc i would have to think 2 pair might win it also,so solid player,just fold,loosy player ,pot him back
Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 AM

I think calling and betting the pot on the turn unimproved is absolutely retarded. What do you think he's raising the flop with?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:01 PM

this is terrible, skewed advice that you gave only after seeing results. good poker is a game of aggression, I'd be repotting the flop every time withOUT a freaking miracle read on my opponent.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to put him on a top set which you cannot count your pairs as outs,so assuming that ,you dont put him on having the higher flush draw,you can only make a nut straight with a 9 or an ace,you have 14 outs to hit on the turn,about 28 percent,so play it out if you just call 4 different times,your gonna hit about 1-4 so you spend 45 3 times and hit on the fourth so you spend 135 and on the fourth time you hit,depending if he pays you off ,you might win 200 ,so its only a 65 dollar ev,thats if he pays you off when you hit ,which is highly unlikely,the right play is to fold in my book ,now if the player is loosy goosy,i would go all in bc i would have to think 2 pair might win it also,so solid player,just fold,loosy player ,pot him back

[/ QUOTE ]

this is stupid
Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 AM

For some reason I can't modify my post in this thread, but please disregard it as being completly wrong. Way too early over here for me to think properly