Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Why do poker players seem to think they are great?

I have been playing poker for a few years and the one thing I find in most serious players is that they think they know all about poker. Casual players or those purely playing for fun not so much. It just seems anyone who has read a poker book or discussed strategy with a friend thinks they have it figured out. One of the most common traits of these types is complaining when they lose to a flush but when they have the same draw they play it the same way and will then justify it to the guy he just beat who is now complaining. I am not complaining because I think this is what makes the games profitable but I am curious to others thoughts on the topic. What is psychogically that makes people feel they are superior to their competition in poker.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Why do poker players seem to think they are great?

Any direct competition / confrontation is going to dent "easily dentable" egos. There's a lot of "puffing of chests" in poker- and it's a dam good job there is- that's when the mistakes are made. And the ego stops the mistakes becoming apparent and fixable. May it long remain.

Ian
Old 10-21-2006, 03:34 PM

It's natural. You're playing a people game that takes a great deal of intelligence, and a lot of the more serious players are smart guys. They've never been the dumb guy in the room in their life, so naturally if they find a few things that work at the table they're going to feel pretty brilliant. I use to be the same way (mind you, I was a bad player, and am only now starting to become decent).

What's more interesting is that in my case, and with a lot of others, the better they get the more humble they are.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's more interesting is that in my case, and with a lot of others, the better they get the more humble they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine it's either get more humble or tear yourself apart with the "bad beats"? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a perfect example of this. I used to be a very arrogant, bad player, but now i'm an extremely humble incredible player.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:14 PM

Heh. You know what I mean.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a perfect example of this. I used to be a very arrogant, bad player, but now i'm an extremely humble incredible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 AM

It's not just poker dude it's anything in life.

When I go fishing... I'm the fish god...(who can't bait the hook)

When I go golfing... I"m tiger (master of hitting out of the woods)

When I go skiing... I'm king of the mountain

When I go hunting... I'm the king killer

When I go shopping... I'm the king of finding a deal

When I have sex...I'm king of the woman (Now she does disagree with this)

When I cook... I'm king of the kitchen

You have to understand that we are men and we are stupid. No matter what we do we are the best at everything.

Its the truth that the people who are the best at things are the ones who knew they suck and worked at it.

Me I could care less if I'm good at anything.. because in my mind I already am [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] anyone who says otherwise is just trying to ruin my day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

umm sure.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's natural. You're playing a people game that takes a great deal of intelligence, and a lot of the more serious players are smart guys. They've never been the dumb guy in the room in their life, so naturally if they find a few things that work at the table they're going to feel pretty brilliant. I use to be the same way (mind you, I was a bad player, and am only now starting to become decent).

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying in a nutshell is;

I used to think I was great......

.....But now I realise I used to be rubbish.......

....Now I think I'm great......

Seems like a vicious circle or something, I think a ton of people have the same problem (myself included).

Mack