Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM

Default You have it all wrong... Well Kinda :)

I was reading a thread where Mason commented that 2+2 books are more expensive because of good quality paper and how well the books are put togethor. I agree

99.99% of 2+2 readers would also agree the price is so high because of the HIGH QUALITY content of their books. I also agree

But to be blunt only someone who is as devious as me TRULY understands why 2+2 books are so good. Here we go!!!!!!!!!1

When someone see's poker on T.V. or advertised on the internet or their friend introduces them into poker they will run to borders and buy a book on poker.
Example : You see the WPT and run out and buy a WPT book like Lindgren or Antonio E.

Example : You want to play online poker so you buy an Online Poker book like Killer Online Poker.

You get the idea....
Now the majority of garbage on sale these days runs between 7.00 and 19.00 dollars in Borders or Amazon etc it varies a bit.

Now your friend heard through the grapevine that 2+2 books are really good. But when he get's to the store he see's they can run between 20 and 30 bucks depending on location, online etc.

Not wanting to spend 30 bucks on something he's not sure he's going to like is no good so he buys the 'El Cheapo" book.

He buys in online or goes to a B&M room he's hooked and because of reading "el cheapo" he prob playing like super donk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

By using this logic it's obvious that Sklansky, Miller, Mason charge more for their books to keep the field rich with donkeys who read garbage books. So that the people who use their advanced well thought out theorys and paid more for their book will have people to win money off of.

So next time you hear someone whining about the price of a 2+2 book ......SLAP THEM because your getting these advantages with the higher price

1) Better Quality Book
2) Well thought out topics and Ideas
3) A long term devious strategy to make people buy lower priced books that will make them play like donkeys. And then after countless bankroll crushing losses they will go back and buy the good book anyway.

Think about it

2+2 sells their books either way... (now or later)
2+2 readers have more fish to take money off of.

Everyone Wins... and to ALL THE TWO PLUS TWO WRITERS I'm sorry I did not understand how deep this was I could have saved thousands by just not being cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: You have it all wrong... Well Kinda :)

How do you explain Phil Gordon's Little Green Book ? That is the most jam packed, lethal poker book on the market, and it's only $15
Old 10-18-2006, 12:19 PM

I would agree to an extent. When I was out for my first poker book it was a toss up between "Play Poker Like the Pros" from Phil Hellmuth which I new at ~$15 and Super System from Doyle Brunson et al. for ~$25. Since I saw Phil on TV and the price was cheaper I went for his book and I'm sure a lot of other people did this.

Also, this was before LGB, so if that had been out that might have changed my decision.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:58 PM

PPLTP was the first book I bought as well because it a) it was cheap and b) Phil won lots of bracelets. Super System (either one) is too damn big physically for a newbie to purchase on first impulse.

the bracelets seem to matter more to the general public than anything, if the performance of HOH vs. older titles is any indication. TV exposure would come next after that. if Sklansky, Miller and Malmuth did want higher public perception for their books (though I can deduce that they're probably happy running things they way they already do as is), then they'd just simply try and win more tournaments, get on TV, or publish more authors who already do.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:45 PM

Even used, the 2+2 books cost more than most new books on poker. I think even the donks are aware of the 2+2 books by now though. Your post was probably very true a couple of years ago, but these days, I think a lot more people have at least a few 2+2 books. Even my friends who just have a few poker books have the HOH books.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:32 PM

If there's any validity to what you are saying I submit the following question.

Why are many of the 2+2 publications outselling the vast majority of the others?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there's any validity to what you are saying I submit the following question.

Why are many of the 2+2 publications outselling the vast majority of the others?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in my post.

Even the Cheapos who but other books first which "might" suck. Will decide to go out and get all the 2+2 books simply because they are losing. They could be winning but now decide they want to win more.

2+2 can't lose

1) Books sell early in a players career because of "word of mouth"
2) After player get's destroyed a few times does some hardcore net searching or asking around and finds 2+2 books are indeed worth it

You see no matter what happens 2+2 books will sell to someone at some point.

While after enough people buy a [censored] book "word of mouth" may begin to hinder their sales.

2+2 will never have this problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 AM

Sorry man. I'm retarded today. Don't even listen to me.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah it's cool It made me think about it more.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah it's cool It made me think about it more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that OP was a SERIOUS post??!?!