Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 AM

Default 10NL, JJ, dude calls everything

Rather new to the table, no substantial reads yet. I couldn't imagine what he was calling down with...

I feel like I bet pot, like alot. Only time I don't is when I feel I'm way ahead and the board isn't threatening. Probably need to tone that down a bit and bet closer to drawing odds instead of blowing them out.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $3.20
UTG+1: $12.75
MP1: $3.55
MP2: $10.10
MP3: $11.85
Hero: $10.45
Button: $8
SB: $2.25
BB: $12.30

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.7</font>, 4 folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1.65, 2 players)
MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.65</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.95, 2 players)
MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4.95</font>, MP3 calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($14.85, 2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: $14.85
Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: 10NL, JJ, dude calls everything

I see very little than he call down with that beats you and loads that you're ahead of, everything seems fine except the river, stick the rest of your stack in there.

Betting closer to drawing odds would let them make a smaller mistake when you should be forcing big mistakes on them.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 AM

Looks fine to me. I'd probably shove for my last $3 though on the river. At a NL10, I see lots of TP or 2nd pair hands calling you down like this.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see very little than he call down with that beats you and loads that you're ahead of, everything seems fine except the river, stick the rest of your stack in there.

Betting closer to drawing odds would let them make a smaller mistake when you should be forcing big mistakes on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he called the $4.95 I was thinking it might be a passive 2-pair... but I probably would have heard from that on the turn, right? Yeah, it's MUBS and inexperience.

I beat 1-pairs and busted draws. If he has a pair he would put me on UI overcards to call anything. Do people bet UI overcards this strongly? Or it more likely that this just because he's a calling station and I can add that read now?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When he called the $4.95 I was thinking it might be a passive 2-pair... but I probably would have heard from that on the turn, right? Yeah, it's MUBS and inexperience.

I beat 1-pairs and busted draws. If he has a pair he would put me on UI overcards to call anything. Do people bet UI overcards this strongly? Or it more likely that this just because he's a calling station and I can add that read now?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, a lot of players at this limit don't really think about what you could have. I've seen JJ call big bets all the way to the river on a board with an A and a Q on the flop. He probably has top/middle pair, and likes his hand. As for that calling station read, you can definately add it after you find out what he has.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But we want them to call.
Essentially, and obviously, when ahead we want to bet exactly the highest possible amount a given villain is willing to call with.
So for weaktight villain A this amount would be close(r) to drawing odds.
But for callstation monkey B it could very well be 10 x potsize.

Pot control can be a misleading concept, i.e. there will rarely be a need for it with TPTK against villain B, but still many people autocheck behind river with this hand because "that is what you do with TPTK".

Edit:
OP,
Shove your last dollars in there.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:48 AM

He has a flush draw. Push river.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 AM

if you put him on a flush draw, why would you push the river if he 100% wasnt gunna call.. i think i would just check here and take the pot down.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you had a read on him as a calling station already, from the thread title? My bad, checking behind is safe option but maybe missing out on some value. People at 10NL are mostly idiots IMO. He could call with anything, it's also unlikely that he's putting you on a range and sometimes they'll call just to see what you had.

Pot controls one thing, but if you think you're ahead most of the time, and there's a decent chance he'll call then you should stick it in and gain that extra value.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Re: 10NL, JJ, dude calls everything (in this hand)

Yeah, I meant he called everything in this hand. I couldn't fathom what he'd call the turn bet with that I beat, so I checked behind.