Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 02:47 AM

Default (100NL 6-max) Unsure of every street

BB was what I perceived to be a solid tight-agg player, and I had been raising a lot in position, but not to an extreme degree. I seem to get my cbets C/Red a ton lately, and usually don't know what the f**k to do. Thoughts?
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $95.50
Hero: $120.90
Button: $104.15
SB: $76.30
BB: $202.35

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($8, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $15</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($38, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $25</font>, SB calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($78, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: $88
Old 10-18-2006, 10:38 AM

Default Re: (100NL 6-max) Unsure of every street

looks like he has K-J or Q-J no spades or he has a low flush and he checked to you river fearing a higher spade. I think the river check was a good idea, all you are beating there is K-J or Q-J really. I'm curious to see which it was, the check flat-call on the turn is confusing but makes sense if he had 2 low spades.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks like he has K-J or Q-J no spades or he has a low flush and he checked to you river fearing a higher spade. I think the river check was a good idea, all you are beating there is K-J or Q-J really. I'm curious to see which it was, the check flat-call on the turn is confusing but makes sense if he had 2 low spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Call on the turn is debatable, what are you hoping to do on the river just c/c a non spade?. I would prob c/f that turn or is that too w/t?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was on the button
Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Here are my thoughts Street by Street :

PF: The raise is a nobrainer.

Flop: You definitely CB here hoping to take down the pot with middle pair on draw heavy board. When you get CR think your call on the flop is correct. After Villains Flop C/R you are getting almost 3:1 on the call. This is definitely a C/R steal atleast 25% of the time in a 5 handed game. So your call - reevaluate after turn is good.

Turn: This is the trickiest Street IMO. If he fires again, you can safely fold. But, since he checked with the 4s you are correct in betting. You have to protect against a hand like the 99 you mentioned with the 9s.

But I think you can "save" atleast $5 here and bet a little smaller like $15 - $20 instead of the $25 you bet. If you are behind QJ or KJ you get to the river cheaper. If you are ahead against any hand Villain has with a Spade that he is willing to call with, even with a $15 bet he is only getting 3.5:1 on the call and you are obviously not calling anything on the river if he bets when the fourth flush hits. Plus a $15 bet looks like you may have hit your flush as this is the likely size of a VB. This means that if you get CR after the turn bet, you know you are beat and fold, again saving $5 - $10 from your $25 bet.

River: After the fourth flush, even though you have two pair, a check behind like you did is the only option. Perfect example of if you get called you are beat.

So, in summary, I think you played the hand correctly. My only change would be to bet $15 -$20 on the turn instead of $25. That smaller bet still gets the job done.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:52 AM

If your image is std. I would strongly consider folding since if you are ahead its not by much.

If you image is not the best you could justify one call.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Call on the turn is debatable, what are you hoping to do on the river just c/c a non spade?. I would prob c/f that turn or is that too w/t?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do u mean flop?

i would muck flop. is he that aggro that ur gonna float him with that pair?

against tricky opponents i like to have a clear cut picture on my hand generally instead of midpair on flop..
Old 10-18-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i would muck flop. is he that aggro that ur gonna float him with that pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my question was: Is mid pair good enough to take a stand against these C/Rs that are likely re-steals? He's not going to fire again on the turn without a very good hand, so call-reevaluate seems to me like a good way to combat these moves. I've seen 99 or worse here dozens of times. or should i not be bothering fighting over these small pots when facing seeming strength.

The guy seemed very solid to me...what kinds of hands do you see good players check-raise here and with what frequency?