Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:35 AM

Default WSOP 2005-- a dealers perspective

I dealt the 2005 WSOP and just wanted to put a few things out there.

This year was very disappointing in terms of dealer tokes. First place---stiffed the whole staff. Most of the 'in the money' finishers did not take care of the dealers. It is unfortunate because many of the best dealers will not be making the trip out there next year, and you will be stuck with many "break-in" dealers, who will without a doubt have a negative influence on the WSOP.

On a good note, I would like to thank Greg Raymer, who thanked the dealers for the great job. We appreciate the recognition.

If anyone has a chance, there is a really good artice in this months TopPair magazine on page 63.

-Chef
Old 08-21-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: WSOP 2005-- a dealers perspective

I thought there was some kind of autotoke to the dealers taken out of the entry fees? No? Yes? How much? Not enough? How much Did the dealers make for their time?

PairTheBoard
Old 08-21-2005, 02:46 AM

$600 was taken out of every player's entry fee to pay the staff. How much did you get paid for dealing the main event? What did it work out to for an hourly rate?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:58 AM

I think there is an autotoke, but that it's customary to add something to it. That's what I've read, at least.

Calling Greg Raymer.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:13 AM

benkahuna-

Dont get me wrong, I love the game and love what i do.

I do think that harrahs taking a good chunk out of the money had something to do with it, but not tipping the dealers isn't sticking it to harrahs, its sticking it to the dealers.

Hopefully next year will be different.

There are some rumors going around that many of the pros spoke out saying that players shouldn't tip anything extra. Unfortunately, many internet players look up to these guys and take what they say as gold. Im not sure if this had everything to do with the poor tokes, but im sure it helped.

-CHEF
Old 08-21-2005, 06:26 AM

I only played one single touney sat at the WSOP which I won (1st two places paid an entry to last chance touney plus $25 I think)

I gave the dealer $10, surely thats enough?

I try to be generous since I have worked in the service industry, but when a dealer (or waiter, etc) cops an attitude, I'll happily give them nothing.

Worse dealer I ever encountered was in Blackhawk colorado, who got pissed and threw my dollar tip back at me. Apparently he was accustomed to all the idiots that play there giving him 5 bucks PER DEAL!

I told him to F-off!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:50 AM

generally people toke better at single tables. like, $50 or more, because most don't get paid much to deal those. that's the way it is at MOST rooms...

reguardless i guarantee you that dealer was bitching later.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:57 AM

I'm interested in your perspective, but a little disappointed to read about dealer tokes as the only thing you care about.

What was the rest of the tourament like? You're not that overworked dealer that told me he hated all poker players are you? :P

Do you think your reduced toke might be related to the fact that Harrah's took a much larger portion of the prize pool this year? It still sucks--damn internet players. I agree with you that less toke and fewer experienced dealers are not good for the WSOP.

Did you guys get paid more than those last year or did Harrah's just get greedy?

Hachem not tipping is pretty lame, but so was Harrah's giving him only 15 percent of the prize pool rather than last year's 20 percent was also lame. More than 2x as many players and only 1.5x the prize.

Thread title should have been "disgruntled dealer complains about Hachem and toke."
Old 08-21-2005, 08:21 AM

Default And THIS one should be titled \"How selfish do you have to be?\"

[ QUOTE ]
but so was Harrah's giving him only 15 percent of the prize pool rather than last year's 20 percent was also lame. More than 2x as many players and only 1.5x the prize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my, poor Joe Hachem- only getting $7.5 million dollars for 8 days worth of work.
Other than fattening the score for the player lucky enough to win, what exactly would paying a larger % to first place accomplish? Are you proposing to take money from the million that 9th place got, or cut out the bottom portion of the prize winners?

I wonder how the WSOP winners from the 90's feel about your "poor Joe got ripped off" comments...
Old 08-21-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: And THIS one should be titled \"How selfish do you have to be?\"

I played in one event at the WSOP, spent only two days there but heard this little tid bit. There was a well know player who was willing to make this bet. He was willing to bet anybody they could not come out ahead in their cumulative tournament play(side games not included). His reasoning was that the 6-10% juice, along with the large fields was too much for anyone to overcome.

Harrahs packs their sh*thole hotel with gamblers for seven weeks. Gives nothing back. There wasn't even a decent food concession in the tournament area. Sells the whole thing to TV. In addition takes 4-8% out of each tournament for themselves and now the dealers and players are calling each other names. Wake up everybody.
Closed Thread