Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Default nl600 vs. 2er

I have been fairly aggressive preflop at this table. I have c-bet most of the time or sometimes floating a flop and raising the turn and haven't seen more than one or two showdowns. That has been going fine.

Within the last few rounds though, villian has played back at me twice. I've missed the flop completely those times and folded.

Villian is a 2er and seems to be good. Until the last couple times he's been pretty TAG. I have no idea if he's been making moves on me or if he hit a couple hands.

Now this:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($533.05)
BB ($1015.60)
UTG ($1538.05)
Hero ($481)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $12.

Flop: ($39) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $90</font>, BB calls $60.

Turn: ($219) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>
Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: nl600 vs. 2er

I think you have to bet/fold this turn. Looks like he fired a total bluff or has a big club. I've been playing nl full time for 1 month and Ive seen players make moves on 3 suited boards a ton. Thats my take on the situation. Besides if you check its going to be a hard spot for you on the river if he fires a big bet.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:50 AM

HATE the flop raise a lot. Whats accomplished?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure. If he has a worse hand, I've got more money in good. If he has a better hand, I put money in badly. I was just thinking he likely didn't have much, but probably overs and it would be good if he folded.

edit: I think there's virtually no chance he checks down, so do you think I am calling him down, check-folding, or making a move on his turn or river bet?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:55 AM

May as well flip your hand face up for him to play the rest of the hand. Think about it.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
May as well flip your hand face up for him to play the rest of the hand. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could well be wrong, but I'll raise other hands that I'll play there. I'll certainly raise 2-pair or trips. A very strong draw/combo draw I'll raise and look to either get it all in on the flop or turn.

edit: I could also easily be raising with air.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has 88.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure. If he has a worse hand, I've got more money in good. If he has a better hand, I put money in badly. I was just thinking he likely didn't have much, but probably overs and it would be good if he folded.

edit: I think there's virtually no chance he checks down, so do you think I am calling him down, check-folding, or making a move on his turn or river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

he def doesnt just have non-club overs if he donked into the raiser. you could play this hand a lot of ways depending on who youre playing.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he def doesnt just have non-club overs if he donked into the raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have been reading more into what was going on at the table than there really was. He had seen me raising a lot preflop and betting postflop, but lately had seen me fold to postflop aggression and I thought he was likely to bet there with any hand he was playing. Could be he was playing a bunch of other tables and hadn't really thought about our little psychological battle.

Without that possibly bad read, I think playing this hand small would be best. There was at least one fish at the table, besides myself, and I shouldn't have been out gunning for a big pot with one of the better players.

It's ok to name names around here isn't it? If not, let me know and I'll edit. Villian was Vehn.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. I LOVE the flop raise, and I think it accomplished a lot. It took back control of the hand, it defined the opponent pretty well, and it did not, as one poster suggests, define hero's hand. If I were villain, that flop raise would make me think that hero has two big cards, and one or both are clubs. When villain calls, it makes me think he has a big club, as well, though not two of them, and possibly has hit a small pair.

If hero now checks behind on the turn, he will have confirmed the opponent's incorrect read. Now he is ready to snap off a bluff on a club-less river, or to make a bluff if the river is a club and opponent checks.