Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Hold\'em Blackjack

New game on the cryptologic network only tournaments at the moment, not sure if there is any great skill involved but they've got some guarnteed tournies.

Rules 6-players max. Rotating button game with sb+bb, 1 / 2 / (2-10) spread limit blind structure.

Round 1 (1bb fixed limit betting)
Each player gets a card face down, then there is a round of betting.

Round 2 (2bb fixed limit betting)
Each player gets a card face up, then there is a round of betting.

Rounds 3 (2bb-10bb spread limit betting)
Each people may draw (upto 7 card total), to the best possible blackjack hands (cards are dealt face down). Bust hands are not folded.

Hand rankings - it doesn't matter if you've get a blackjack 21 ties with any other 21. 21 beats a 20 etc.
7-card charlie is an automatic winner, not sure if a 21 7-card charlie beats a 20 7-card charlie.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Hold\'em Blackjack

an ace is the nuts in the first round obviously. 3-8 should probably be folded unless you see something cheap from the blinds.

hard 17-19 hands in round 2 have very bad reverse implied odds because of the structure. depending on the size of the field it might be foldable? how can you call a 10bb beat on the end with 19??

hitting stiff six card hands looks pretty damn fun.

probably people will really suck at this.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Hi,

I also noticed the new poker variant hold'em blackjack on Interpoker, and I must say that it looks very interesting. Also stumpled over http://www.holdem-blackjack.com, however, there is definately a lack of strategy advices.

So my question is: Does anybody here have any good tips, except for JBA's great guidelines?

Thanks ;-)
Old 09-22-2006, 06:53 PM

Great fun, played in a few tournaments [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Definitely less skill involved than hold'em but a good change of pace. You play up to 6 players, so traditional "made hands" in blackjack are not very strong (17,18,even 19). Of course you can bluff'em. I've yet to see a 7 Card Charlie, what are the odds?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:50 AM

I also played a tourney tonight and thought it was great.

It's absolutely correct that 17-19 have bad reverse implied odds, because you can't call bets w/ them.

I saw 11's capped on the turn a few times. I dunno if that's good strategy or not... Maybe it is w/ the big bet on the end...

The one thing I saw that was an excellent play is an OOP 6 stood against my 4. Pretty much whatever I could have loses to what he has, so I have to hit and risk busting when he obv. is under 21.

-ChipsAhoya
Old 09-24-2006, 07:41 AM

Does anyone know how many decks are used?

I haven't played much online blackjack, but I take it that there is a shuffle after each hand?

Is there anyone else apart from Crypto that offer this game?

Anyone think that holdem blackjack will be a hit?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:28 PM

I don't know if more than one deck is used, but I do think it is just one. I also take it that there is a shuffle between each hand.

No one but Crypto is offering the game at the moment - I take it that the others are waiting to see if people will play it.

Having played a few games, my opinion is that it is definately here to stay, however - it's not the new Texas Hold'em.

What do other people think??
Old 09-24-2006, 01:59 PM

How frequently does it go?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:02 AM

One thing I realized when playing was that deception has some place in this game. Everyone at my table was jamming the crap out of T & A type hands, but then this allowed you to play well against them after the draw. I was thinking that you could cause some pretty significant FTOP mistakes and really exploit your positiong by raising sometimes with babies like 2s and 3s.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:59 AM

i played this over the weekend and had loads of fun, its quick and i learnt the game in about 10 minutes (and somehow started winning), i have read the above posts and was just wondering about other peoples startegies, mine is pretty basic at the moment, fold the first card if it isnt a ten and fold if someone else is showing an ace. Also, which crypto sites are people using for this.