Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 AM

Default neverwin\'s account hacked, 27k stolen

dustin asked me to post a link here about this, i dont really have all the details, but apparently someone put a keylogger on his computer by direct connecting on aim, then hacked one of his UB accounts and transfered some of his money to their account, then sat down at 50/100 NL and donked the rest away to random players

neverwin says UB support has not been very helpful at all in the matter, and he cant get any of his money back, even though UB knows whos account the money was sent to, so he wanted me to post here to spread the word, as well as to warn people not to keep too much money online and to be careful about direct connecting with people you dont know well on aim

for now neverwin has completely stopped playing on UB, and i believe he will be posting a front page story on his site giving full detail about everyone involved in this

here are some links to the threads already up on NWP about this(i think there are some NSFW pictures in them, like a dick in one of them):

http://www.neverwinpoker.com/phpnuke...ct-26435-.html

http://www.neverwinpoker.com/phpnuke...ct-26708-.html

also, mods, if this isnt the rigth forum for this, feel free to move it
Old 09-12-2006, 04:22 AM

Default Re: neverwin\'s account hacked, 27k stolen

Was he supposed to play a 3-way match with two 2p2ers who were colluding against him? Did he back out of that? [censored] him.

editing to say: this is so not a yogi moment, also, if the response ot those questions is No, then yeah, that blows. If the response is yes, but he admited he was dumb when he made the challenge, then sure, it still blows.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was he supposed to play a 3-way match with two 2p2ers who were colluding against him? Did he back out of that? [censored] him.

editing to say: this is so not a yogi moment, also, if the response ot those questions is No, then yeah, that blows. If the response is yes, but he admited he was dumb when he made the challenge, then sure, it still blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

he put out the chalalnge. i posted it on NW poker accepting it, got flamed there and he never responded to the thread.

to my knowledge, he's never accepted or even aknowledged that he offered the challange other than the initial statement.

Barron
Old 09-12-2006, 04:27 PM

Schneids was going to play him ~800/1600 "HU"; Schneids got to play two hands with two stacks. I think NW backed out of it.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:28 PM

He's lucky he didnt have more money in that account but 27k definetely still hurts. I dont get why the online poker ballers dont use a separate computer for AIM and surfing the Net and use a separate computer solely to play poker.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's lucky he didnt have more money in that account but 27k definetely still hurts. I dont get why the online poker ballers dont use a separate computer for AIM and surfing the Net and use a separate computer solely to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

cause it's a pain in the ass duh.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 AM

UB shouldn't be liable for getting your password stolen. Accepting a DC is a really bad idea. It sucks, for sure, but he could have lost a ton more and is lucky to get off losing 27k. Also, since the guy won 12k before losing it all back, it sounds like he only lost 15k. Or I might have understood wrong.

Regardless, the only way UB could be liable here is if say he sent an email reporting that his accout was hacked and then the scammer lost the money a day later or something because of UB's inaction in regards to freezing the account. Even then it's a gray area. At least he didn't get rolled on all sites.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 AM

This [censored] is so [censored] up.

PLEASE everyone never direct connect on AIM or accept a file from a stranger. Even if it's a friend, make sure that you call him up or something FIRST before accepting a connection, since someone might have hijacked HIS account in order to get to you.

Gah, makes me paranoid as [censored] now having read that thread in its entirety.

Edit: Easiest way, as mentioned numerous times in that thread, is to have one computer JUST for poker, and another computer for AIM/other crap.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:55 AM

playing with that big cash you need more than a decent anti virus/anti spyware software I guess (not knowing what precautions he had of course)..probably most of us need an anti-keylogger/anti-monitoring software as well..Advanced Anti Keylogger, PrivacyKeyboard, SnoopFree Privacy Shield are the ones to consider at first sight..
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM

This happened to me on party about a month ago. Someone transferred a few thousand to this one screeenname then proceeded to purchase gift certificates once the transfer maximum limit was exceeded. I notified Party and all they told me after two days of investigation was that the other party was unaware that this was a fraudulent transaction and that he thought we were making a deal. Apparently, the person who broke into my account had a chat with this other guy in a chatbox on a table (they have records of this conversation taking place too) and they agreed to swap party money for money on another poker site.

I know now that the reason this happened was that I downloaded a "poker program" from someone through aim. I didn't know the person really well, but we had talked almost every day on im for a few weeks. I was very suspicious about how they obtained my screenname to begin with, but I completely forgot about it after we talked on im for a while.

I cringe when I see the amount of money people keep online (I saw someone with $365K on their account). I was really stupid to download a program from someone I didn't know well.

On a sidenote, this person also made a 2.5K deposit to firepay that bounced. Firepay is now demanding the money from me, and is threatening to use a 3rd party collection agency and report it to a credit bureau. What do I do?