Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 AM

Default NFL Week 1 in Review - Thoughts

I just thought I would post some of my thoughts about each team before I go to bed tonight. A few people did this last year as well. Let me know what some of you thought about the games so far.

Pittsburgh - I didn't expect Parker to get that many yards. I think the offensive and backs did a great job of protecting Batch which made it easier to lead the team and not lose the game while Ben gets well.

Miami - Pittsburgh is good at shutting down the run. I think Ronnie Brown will get it going soon and the offense will be much more balanced. That should help Cullpepper too. This was a tough game for them and I look for some value in Miami in the next couple weeks.

Philadelphia - Very impressive offensively in their first game. It is tough to get a feel for just how good they will be as it was Houston after all...

Houston - Looks like last year all over again.

Buffalo - I dont know what to think about them. It looked like they were moving the ball at will sometimes but then other times coudnlt do anything. I was hoping they kicked the field goal to get to 20 points but I don't think it would have mattered. NE was in posision to kick a FG and win 22-20 had they done it that way.

New England - Think they got a huge spark from Maroney. Without him today, they may not have come all the way back. He looks like a very good addition to the team. Same old Patriots. Expect them to win 9-11 games again.

Seattle - I watched this game. The ofense will struggle for a while until people get healthy.

Detroit - I felt they played a great game. They caught some lucky turnovers that kept them close and also a couple low kicks on FGs that ended up getting blocked. I will be looking for an opportunity to go against them in the next week or two as I don't think they can duplicate that effort.

New Orleans - Not much to say here. It looks like they split the RB duties pretty even. Bush had a good opening day.

Cleveland - It looked like they kept making mistakes and had bad penalties that pretty much gave the game away.

Atlanta - I thought this game would be close. Tons of speed at most positions on offense. I expected a close game. I think I may look to go against them soon as Carolina just stunk on offense and didn't put up much of a challenge. I think the public may overvalue them after this game.

Carolina - They really stunk. The offense was horrible. I have Forster on my fantasy team so was watching this game closely. They would run twice then attempt pass that would fall incomplete and then punt most of the first 3 quarters. Then it was too late and they were forced to play catch up. They need Smith back badly but I doubt even he would have been mush of a factor today. they were just plain bad.

NY Jets - Im not impressed. Tennessee stinks.

Tennessee - This season will be ugly.

Baltimore - The defense controlled this game. McNair was not tested so it is difficult to say how he will handle the team when the game is closer.

Tampa Bay - There may be some value here in the next few weeks. They can't be nearly as bad as they showed today, can they?

Denver - Huh? I don't get it. I look for them to get rolling soon.

St Louis - Nice win today. I didn't ppay much attention to this game but I did see Jackson had a few nice runs.

Cincinnati - The sports stations seem to thin they will win this division. They are a good team but were oportunistic last year on defense. I think the schedule is too tough for them this year. The public likes them but I wil lbe looking to go against later.

Kansas City - Nothing new to say here. They are obviously in trouble with offensive line problems and now the QB injury.

Dallas - I really expected them to win this one. This is another game I didn't pay much attention to.

Jacksonville - I don't understand how this team wins games. They just keep doing it.

Chicago - Yay me for having the Chicago defense! This team is obviously the class of their division. Will need to wait and see what happens when they play a real team.

Green Bay - Put in Rogers already. It stinks to see Farve in the later part of his career like this. My brother (Packer fan) still thinks they can win this division. Gotta love those GB fans.

San Francisco - Gore has a really nice day. He looked impressive. Although, Arizona down not have much of a defense to slow him down. SF got some turnovers deep in AZ territory to keep it close. Against a real defense they will be very bad.

Arizona - This offense is fun to watch. Tons of firepower at all key positions. However, Warner was on the run al lday and James had to break tackles just to get to the line of scrimmage all day long. I am conviced Warner wont make it through the season. They need an offinsive line. Look for high scoring very entertaining games this year.

Indianapolis - Manning should have been intercepted repeatedly tonight. If they don't get the running game going, teams will make the same adjustments the Giants made and force Manning to throw into coverage. Oh, and the defense was horrible against the run.

NY Giants - Tons of penalties, dropped balls, etc. They could have easily won this game. I am very impressed with the running game. Jacobs shol dbe able to take some of the load and keep Barber healthy for the stretch run. Even though they lost, I am impressed with the possiblities ig only they didn't make all those mental mistakes. I expect this team to just blow out weaker opponents this year. Very solid.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Re: NFL Week 1 in Review - Thoughts

Good post. Just a couple comments based on games I followed:

[ QUOTE ]
Houston - Looks like last year all over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Last year, they would given up many more turnovers and many more sacks. A. Johnson would have had 3 catches for 38 yards (in this game he had 6 for 100). They were in the game for much of it- got outclassed and outcoached in the 2nd half. Nothing new there, but don't give up on them yet. I think they're a good cover team this year, that could have some great value in spots.

[ QUOTE ]
New England - Think they got a huge spark from Maroney. Without him today, they may not have come all the way back.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't have much to do with the comeback. He had two big gains on the first drive; his last 7 carries went for 15 yards. I do agree he will be big this year and beyond.

[ QUOTE ]
Detroit - I felt they played a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Predictable play calling hurt them.

[ QUOTE ]
New Orleans - Not much to say here. It looks like they split the RB duties pretty even. Bush had a good opening day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Toughest team to guage right now IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Cleveland - It looked like they kept making mistakes and had bad penalties that pretty much gave the game away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're a year away, and the whole team knows it. They'll be a good fade in certain spots.

[ QUOTE ]
Tampa Bay - There may be some value here in the next few weeks. They can't be nearly as bad as they showed today, can they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Hard to justify a stink-bomb in the home opener, but I think they'll bounce back fine.

[ QUOTE ]
St Louis - Nice win today. I didn't ppay much attention to this game but I did see Jackson had a few nice runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also got stuffed behind the line many times. STL benefited immensely from turnovers at home, and still could never put the game away. I feel certain there's no way they go above .500 ATS on the road this year.

[ QUOTE ]
Dallas - I really expected them to win this one. This is another game I didn't pay much attention to.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of those games where a team looks unstoppable on their first drive, and then incompetent on every subsequent possession. What's up with that? Is it a well-scripted first drive, overconfidence thereafter, one team coming out flat, defensive adjustments, small sample size, what? Seriously, I've never figured this out. Why does this happen so often?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:55 AM

my thoughts:

when will the anal raping end?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:13 PM

I agree with legends takes on new england and dallas.. not sure why everyone was giving maroney so much lip service during the NE game.. he had a couple nice scampers early, but wasnt as integral to the offense as they would have you believe. I'll be fading NE much of this season.

Dallas likewise, any team with an aggressive defense will make bledsoe pay.. I look to fade them in those spots. Also with talk of QB controversy and the eternal locker-room imploder TO around corner, If I had to guess I'd say a Dallas meltdown is going to happen before the end of Week 8.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:42 PM

I think Tampa was missing both starting guards against Baltimore, but is supposed to get one of them back next week.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:24 PM

Thinking of Denver:

Despite enormous amounts of turnovers their defense held the rams to six field goals while playing on the road. I know Mike Martz is no longer the coach of the Rams but their supposed newfound emphasis on the run (which is looking good) in my eyes keeps them as a top ten offense in the league. I am really going to look at denver week two and three to hopefully fade some public opinion.

The team that impressed me the most in week one is pittsburgh. 11-5 last year without rothlisberger for a few games; already 1-0 this year without 'em.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking of Denver:

Despite enormous amounts of turnovers their defense held the rams to six field goals while playing on the road. I know Mike Martz is no longer the coach of the Rams but their supposed newfound emphasis on the run (which is looking good) in my eyes keeps them as a top ten offense in the league. I am really going to look at denver week two and three to hopefully fade some public opinion.

The team that impressed me the most in week one is pittsburgh. 11-5 last year without rothlisberger for a few games; already 1-0 this year without 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Denver did this same crap last year, went to Miami, played horribly, turned the ball over and lost. Then they went on to win 13 of there next 15.

The D looked pretty good considering the situations the offense kept putting them in. Jake is a veteran, he knows he played bad and I expect him to step it up against the chiefs and patriots. Javon Walker dropping passes and the offensive line didnt help things either.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 PM

Abandon hope on Denver. I see a bad starting QB that played worse than the Steelers game last year. The solution is to turn the team over to Cutler. He is the answer. They also need major rebuilding of their lines and their schedule is not easy.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One of those games where a team looks unstoppable on their first drive, and then incompetent on every subsequent possession. What's up with that? Is it a well-scripted first drive, overconfidence thereafter, one team coming out flat, defensive adjustments, small sample size, what? Seriously, I've never figured this out. Why does this happen so often?

[/ QUOTE ]Funny but same thing seems to be happening tonight. Minnesota easily scored a TDon their first drive, should've scored on their second drive if Williamson would've held onto a ball, yet theres 2 minutes left in the first half and they only have 6 points.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 PM

First half/Second half points week 1

Bit of a plug for one of my posts earlier, but that's the first half vs second half for each team so far this week.

My theory is that the offenses don't have a huge/versatile playbook yet. I noticed that tonight that lateral pass worked about twice for the Skins and is now getting flattened each time they try it.

Lori