Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 03:54 AM

Default Honestly don\'t know what\'s wrong here!

43,000 hands of $100NL 6max (and recently $50NL 6max) and the downswing of my life is happening. It all started when I decided to be more aggressive (CBing 90% of the flops, for example). Since then, all hell has broken loose to the tune of -1100BB in 20,000 hands. I honestly don't know if it is variance or just bad play. I find myself calling minraises on the river with my busted sets and 2-pair hands and getting beat by every small stack with a flush draw.

My stats are not that bad, in my humble opinion...

Maybe I am playing too many hands UTG?

And finally, here's the graph that probably belongs in the BBV forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
________________<font color="red"> MOUNT SUCKOUT </font>________________
Old 09-09-2006, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Honestly don\'t know what\'s wrong here!

it looks like you made all these bb's in one 1k hand rush and another 4k hand rush. other than that your graph is breakeven/losing. have you compared your pre downswing stats w/ downswing? from these stats you're not raising/stealing enough and i think you can tone back the flop aggression.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:21 AM

1) this NL, we talk in dollar amounts and buy-ins NOT BBs.

2) IMO your way to loose preflop OOP. 20% VPIP UTG is... a lot.

3) post hands not stats.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:53 AM

You aren't positionally aware. This is a big problem.

From early position, you should be playing pairs and TPTK type hands and dump the rest. This should give you vpip of about 10-13. Above that and you're going to have problems. Add your speculative hands in late position only. They are too hard to play OOP and make for higher variance.

Also, when first in or with one limper in front of you, you should always open raise. Limping gives away that your hand is not primo and is easily stolen from by a late position raiser (I know, I do this all the time and it's very profitable for me). So from EP, your PFR% should be the same as you VPIP (but still way lower than 20% !).

Also a note on bankroll management. Make sure you have at least 20 buy-ins before moving up (so 2k min before tryint 100NL), and drop down when you get below 15. Trying new things like c-betting more often can also take time to get used to as you make mistakes getting used to it. And as you get used to it and your bank roll lowers, you still need go down if you get under 15 buy-ins.

JA
Old 09-09-2006, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't positionally aware. This is a big problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes he is. you can see his hand range opens up the closer he gets to the button.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, when first in or with one limper in front of you, you should always open raise. Limping gives away that your hand is not primo and is easily stolen from by a late position raiser (I know, I do this all the time and it's very profitable for me). So from EP, your PFR% should be the same as you VPIP (but still way lower than 20% !).

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. I disagree. I dont mind limping with some hands such as 22-66 UTG and Axs UTG and MP if the table is fairly passive and you have a good shot at seeing a cheap flop with people who play really bad post flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Also a note on bankroll management. Make sure you have at least 20 buy-ins before moving up (so 2k min before tryint 100NL), and drop down when you get below 15. Trying new things like c-betting more often can also take time to get used to as you make mistakes getting used to it. And as you get used to it and your bank roll lowers, you still need go down if you get under 15 buy-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. i generally dont agree with such strict rules. as a guideline sure, but its not set in stone.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes he is. you can see his hand range opens up the closer he gets to the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough to be considered really positionally aware imo.
Button should be close to double UTG for VPIP.

[ QUOTE ]
meh. I disagree. I dont mind limping with some hands such as 22-66 UTG and Axs UTG and MP if the table is fairly passive and you have a good shot at seeing a cheap flop with people who play really bad post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're losing money there. You lose the initiative to take the pot with a c-bet since everyone misses a flop the majority of the time. And it's pretty rare to have a table where everyone is passive. By the way, what's the difference between 22-66 and 77/88? We're playing them all for set value OOP.

[ QUOTE ]
meh. i generally dont agree with such strict rules. as a guideline sure, but its not set in stone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man ... do you every read BBV? People go busto a lot here. I think it's pretty harsh for those guys and can be avoided if people only knew better.

JA
Old 09-09-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Man ... do you every read BBV? People go busto a lot here. I think it's pretty harsh for those guys and can be avoided if people only knew better.

JA

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt say ignore BR management completely. i just dont agree with those exact rules. I believe in taking shots earlier than 20 buy ins. I think that playing under rolled is okay given certain cirumstances.

/hijack
Old 09-10-2006, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

I agree about the "positionally aware" leak that I have. I wasn't as aware as I could have been. I actually signed up for a cardrunner's membership and watching their videos I was amazed (but not suprised!) at how often they raise on the button and how they always fold suited connectors like JTs UTG.

In the 1700 hands that I've played since watching those videos and adjusting my preflop play, my VPIP has climbed to 36% on the button and sunk to 16% UTG. My overall preflop raise percentage has shot up to 15% and my 1/2-pot CBs are actually being respected. Maybe it's just variance but I think that I'm starting to get back on the right track.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:40 PM

You are losing way too much money in SB and BB. I guess you playing many pots aggressively OOP leading to tough decisions with marginal hands. Tighten up a little bit OOP.