Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Rate Movies You Recently Watched

I had nothing to do and watched a bunch this weekend.

Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick, 1957) - war/drama - Kirk Douglas - 10/10

After a second viewing, this may now be my favorite Kubrick film. There are so many powerful scenes, and I honestly can't find a single flaw.

Fact from the DVD insert: Over a ton of explosives were discharged in the first week of filming.

Ghost World (Terry Zwigoff, 2001) - comedy/drama - Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Buscemi - 7.5/10

Very funny teen comedy with smart writing and a delightful performance by Birch (who looks great too). Lots of quirky characters and satire, and essential viewing for any Buscemi fan. I Just noticed Zwigoff also directed Bad Santa, which I thought was hilarious.

Nothing (Vincenzo Natali, 2003) - comedy/sci-fi - Andrew Miller, David Hewlett - 5.5/10

Still not sure what to think of this wacky Canadian film, but the night I saw it I wrote a lousy short review here:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post7162987

United 93 (Paul Greengrass, 2006) - 8/10

I probably wouldn't have watched this if it wasn't for the positive reviews here, assuming it would be hollywoodish crap. It was so much better than I expected. No preaching. No super heroes. No cheezy drama. Just normal people portrayed very realistically. It brought back some intense memories.

Cypher (Vincenzo Natali , 2002) - sci-fi/mystery - Jeremy Northam, Lucy Liu - 7.5/10

Been looking for some good recent sci-fi lately I may have missed, and found this gem that surprisingly went straight to video. It's a slick corporate espionage spy story with non-stop twists, a total gas to watch. And it's visually awesome.

Brick (Rian Johnson, 2005) - mystery - Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Nora Zehetner, Lukas Haas - 6/10

This has been reviewed here recently, but for those unfamiliar Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a tough high school kid tracing a murder involving a former girlfriend who became involved with a drug ring. It's a very stylish film noir that tries hard to be cool and probably has the potential for a cultish following among teens. The dialogue is unbelievable, and takes some getting used to. Speaking of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I watched Mysterious Skin the weekend before and it was excellent, way better than Brick IMO.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Rate Movies You Recently Watched

Inside Man-

I just watched this last night, I was pretty suprised at how good it was, the music played a big part in making the movie not drag out, 7.75/10
Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 AM

Scary Movie 4-

Absolutely Horrible. I found Scary Movie 1 entertaining, and they just keep getting worse. 3/10.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 AM

Little Miss Sunshine - 9/10

Smart, funny, and thoroughly entertaining. Not your typical formulaic Hollywood movie. It's rare to go to a movie and actually miss lines of dialogue because the theater is laughing so hard.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 AM

Silence Of The Lambs - ****
Hannibal - ****
Red Dragon - ***

Manhunter is up next.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Enjoyed Inside Man too. Looking forward to seeing Little Miss Sunshine. It looks like it could be a Wes Anderson film.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 AM

Chumscrubber 7.5/10
somehow a very engaging movie about messed up suburbia life.

Transporter 2 5.5/10
It's good for what it's meant to be. Fight scenes need to be drawn out more.

Didn't see much this weekend (damn college football)
Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Silence Of The Lambs - ****
Hannibal - ****
Red Dragon - ***

Manhunter is up next.

[/ QUOTE ]
While you're on the serial killer kick, check out Citizen X, if you can find a copy.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:20 PM

Clerks II - I guess I'd give it a 6.5, had some funny parts but also some scenes that seemed like they were trying to hard, and I hate that guy Dante, he's such a whiny bitch just like he was in the first one.

Brokeback Mountain - Good story and good acting but a couple scenes had me really really disturbed. I'd give it an 8 if it didn't have those parts.

Fever Pitch - I hate Jimmy Fallon but luckily Drew Barrymore is pretty cute in this flick. Had some funny moments. I'd give it a 5.

Cry Wolf - I saw a little bit of this movie so I can't fully comment, but it seemed like a cool thriller about a deranged killer on a college campus. It's been done many times before but this was a different type of scary.

Not a movie but I've been watching the Joe Schmoe show on DVD, Season 1 and it is awesome, everybody should see it.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 PM

jarhead 9/10
awesome movie