Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Clumsy play? Bad but how bad?

When I was reviewing this hand I realized I may have totally missed the point of poker, at least post flop. So I decided to submit it and see if I screwed up as bad as I think I did.

Preflop I'm thinking I have a pretty good start but I want to get villian alone. That part OK?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

I may be behind but villian has been very aggressive in previous hands so I'm not sure I'm behind.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

In review I think whether I was right or wrong on the flop became moot, this check raise should have convinced me and I should have folded to it right here?

Turn: (6.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

In review I think I have followed poor play with insanity?

River: (10.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

At this point maybe I have to call the river as played but I should have been gone on flop or turn. Which?

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
Old 08-29-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Clumsy play? Bad but how bad?

Yuck. What has villain been aggresive WITH? What does he cap with? Have you seen him show down garbage after a lot of aggression?

Pre-flop is fine.
Flop is horrible. What do you think is going to happen here? What were you trying to accomplish?
Turn is marginal because there are 3 hands you are behind to and they are all in the capping range of EVERYONE.
River is fine but with reads you probably wouldn't get here.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 PM

Grunch....

Preflop, more often than not, I'm folding. I'll 3-bet AQs in the same position. Depends on the player who raised though. Without a read, I'm most likely folding AQos.

On the flop since I have nothing and one bet to a preflop capper most likely isn't going to make him fold, I check behind and hope to pick up something. What exactly are we ahead of here? KQ, KJ, AJ. I don't usually cap any of those.

I like the turn even after the flop C/R. You are now ahead of AK and most all pocket pairs. The C/R on the turn by him though is scary enough for me.

Call the river and make a note of what he had.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunch....

Preflop, more often than not, I'm folding. I'll 3-bet AQs in the same position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, why? They are much the same hand if you threebet. You're likely to get it heads up and then the extra from being sooted is not going to make much difference (about 2%). If there were loose limpers already in or you knew that a couple behind you were *very* loose, maybe it would make a difference but not here.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:01 AM

Preflop is fine. Flop check behind, but call the c/r once you've bet. As he played it it looks like he has a monster and is way too tricky for his own good, so I check the turn. Given that you bet, it's probably a fold. Given that you didn't, call and see his quads.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:50 AM

Flop is a spew. Betting out with AK, without hitting the flop against a capper is generally bad play. AQ is even worse. Turn, I c/c, river I call with the pot this big.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:57 AM

When someone caps me preflop and checks to me on flop and I have nothing it is an automatic check. AQo is one of those hands I still have trouble playing when there is aggression thrown in my way preflop. It is just player dependent.