Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 AM

Default An OMGWTF line with AKs

Haven't played any interesting hands for a while, so I'll post this 1. This was played a few weeks ago. No reads on villain.

Preflop is not my standard and I have no idea why I did it. At the moment, I'd rr preflop 100% of the time....but whatever.

Given PF, what are thoughts on the line?

What are the reletive merits of c/f river, c/c river and c/r river? How would this change if the turn card and river card were swopped?

Button ($329.75)
SB ($301.55)
Hero ($243.75)
UTG ($107)
MP ($306.10)
CO ($200)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
1 fold, <font color="red"> MP raises to $8 </font>, 3 folds, Hero Calls.

Flop: ($17) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red"> MP bets $12 </font>, Hero calls.

Turn: ($41) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: ($41) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $25</font>, Hero calls. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: An OMGWTF line with AKs

If he had a good pair why did he check the turn with a flush draw on the board?
I woul say the turn car being a heart was a good opp for a semi bluf on the turn.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I woul say the turn car being a heart was a good opp for a semi bluf on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I would have gone with the c/r rather than leading the turn, and with villain checking behind that is obv not possible. As played, I think I just give up on river.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had a good pair why did he check the turn with a flush draw on the board?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 AM

uhh the only play id make here would be checkraising the flop since its the cheapest street to do so on and he likely has crap.

as played id fold river.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:08 AM

With no read I don't like it. Obviously raise preflop but that much you know.

Flop isn't bad, but if I decide to play the flop like that I would lead the turn. I think checkraising the flop might be better than just check/calling.

As played I can't find a call on the river.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:44 AM

I think as you stated the flat call with AKs preflop has got you into a bit of a mess. That aside I think the villans check on the turn maybe indicates he's worried you may have trips. You havent showed strength preflop but calling a raise he may put you on a mid size pocket pair, you then called his flop bet with a board of 9 7 3, I think this worries him and his overpair, hence he checks behind on the turn. With a potential flush coming on the river the villan not betting the turn tells me he has all but given up on this pot.

As played on the river I think you have to bet at this first or give up. By checking again this probably makes the villan think his assessment of 'possible trips' was wrong, and with no flush card coming he's going to bet at you. I think the majority of time your no good here to make this river call profitable but I do think you could have took down the pot on the turn or river by betting out first, or at least been sure where you stood.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:41 AM

I think villain is rarely bluffing on this river.

I actually don't mind the flop smoothcall that much but I think you should lead the turn for 2/3 pot.

it builds the pot for your draw, he has a tough time raising with overpairs because your line looks fairly scary and 2/3 pot prices you in for the draw.

river you have to check fold.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 AM

As played, fold the river. OOP without the initiative sucks, huh? You needed to show aggression here somewhere. If you had raised preflop, lead or CRd the flop, or lead at the turn, you would have some idea where villain is at. Now you have no idea what he could have, and you only beat a bluff, so you have to fold. If the turn and river were swapped, and you played this hand the same way, I am sure you would have essentially given up on the turn and not thought twice about c/f the riv. I don't know if it would be more likely for the villain to bet the turn, cuz I have no idea what he has. Betting gives us information...we didn't bet.

-Jaxx
Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 AM

FWIW, my check on turn was an attempted C/R