Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 05:01 PM

Default motorcycle Suggestions

I have recently been considering getting a motorcycle. The problem is I know nothing about bikes and have never even driven one before. I did a little research and it seems like either the standard/naked or a sport bike would be good for me. I don't know if I neccesarily need all the power from a sport bike as I won't be doing any aggresive riding, but they do look damn cool. Does anyone have any good recomendations for a good bike for a beginner? Knowing nothing about bikes I thought this one seemed pretty cool, but I heard they stopped making them: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx
Anyone have any experiance with a Katana? Also I am looking for suggestions on brands to avoid. I will probably be looking to get a used one.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Re: motorcycle Suggestions

Do yourself a favor, buy a used, ugly 250, not a sport bike, just a regular old motor cycle. You can probably find something for $500-1,000. Take classes, get your license, ride it around for six months. I know it'll hurt your ego a bit, but it's for the best. Then you can go out and buy a monster and not worry about crashing in your first week of owning a 10-15K motorcycle.

Here's a few potential bikes I'd consider for someone to learn to ride...

Ugly bike #1

Ugly bike #2

Dirt Bike

Swede
Old 08-25-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a favor, buy a used, ugly 250, not a sport bike, just a regular old motor cycle. You can probably find something for $500-1,000. Take classes, get your license, ride it around for six months. I know it'll hurt your ego a bit, but it's for the best. Then you can go out and buy a monster and not worry about crashing in your first week of owning a 10-15K motorcycle.

Here's a few potential bikes I'd consider for someone to learn to ride...

Ugly bike #1

Ugly bike #2

Dirt Bike

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
That is a good idea, and one I plan on doing. I guess I was trying to kinda plan out for the future after I learned to ride what would be a good bike to get. That way I could set a goal of working up to one of the better bikes. I was reading some guys website about learning to ride and he stated that most people fall when learning. Is this true? It would definately be another reason to start off on a cheap bike to avoid damage.

So, after I have graduated into better bikes is there any particular ones I should be looking at?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:30 PM

Based on what you're saying it sounds like you're smart enough to do some research and avoid being the average moron who goes out and buys a Ninja and drives it into a bus on his maiden voyage.

In terms of who makes the coolest bikes right now I'm really not very up-to-date, but I do know that Ducatis are pretty freakin' awesome looking.

Swede
Old 08-25-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on what you're saying it sounds like you're smart enough to do some research and avoid being the average moron who goes out and buys a Ninja and drives it into a bus on his maiden voyage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2006, 06:19 PM

FZR600. Cheap, decent looking, good performance and good quality. Nice sport bike for beginners.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, after I have graduated into better bikes is there any particular ones I should be looking at?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Suzuki GSXR 1000 is the gold standard when it comes to sport bikes.

Avoid the Katana. It's junk.

You can find a ton of good used 600cc sport bikes to start out with. Don't worry it's not too much bike.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:34 PM

A modern 600 is WAY too much bike for a beginner that has never been on one. Katanas are junk. And for that reason are fantastic for beginners.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 PM

I disagree. I know people who have never ridden a motorcycle in their life, including one female, who started out on a 600 and had no problems.

If you've got decent hand-eye and you're not a maniac you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A modern 600 is WAY too much bike for a beginner that has never been on one. Katanas are junk. And for that reason are fantastic for beginners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if I agree with this, also can you even find sport bikes under 600?

My bike of choice is the 954 rr