Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Please help me fix a leak in my game

I'll give a few hand situations - both hypotheticals, and then talk a little bit about what I'm finding. I'm not sure if this is a big leak, small leak, or maybe not at all and I've just been running bad. Thanks for any help.

$30 live tourney - 8 left, I'm 5th in chips with t8000
Blinds 150/300

UTG - average player who can mix it up w/ different styles (t4900) min raises to 600. Folds to me and I call with 85ss.

Flop is 9s,8x,2x.

I check, UTG bets out 600 into 1500 pot. I raise to 2000. He immediately pushes for 2300 on top. Pot is now 5200 and figure him for an overpair. I have a chance to take down a monster pot and move into first or be crippled. 4 players pay.

Is this an immediate fold/call? Is it strictly pot odds or do I consider my position in the tournament?

Next hand,

Same game, blinds 200/400, I (t9000) get Ah4h OTB and raise to 1200. BB (t3600) (solid player who knows I will steal) pushes. Pot is now 5400 and I have to call 2400. Is this an auto fold/call?

These "priced in" situations are really killing me. I feel like my tournament "destiny" (for lack of a better term) seems to come down to situations where I have to come from behind, but am getting the right price (or near the right price).

I feel like I've really screwed up a couple of chip leads and good situations by claiming that I'm "priced in" when maybe I shouldn't even be looking at that.

Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Please help me fix a leak in my game

You're putting yourself in tough spots that are avoidable because you aren't thinking ahead of the action in front of you.

Hand 1....On the flop when he bets 600 you should have thought about the possibility of him pushing over top and how you would react to it if you raised to 2000. If you feel like you can't let it go, it might be better to just push.

Hand 2....If you're making a blind steal OTB, you should raise an amount that makes your decision easier if he pushes. In this situation I would raise more preflop(1600 or so), commiting myself to the pot so I have an easy decision if he comes over top all-in and to discourage action as well since A4s sucks.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:57 PM

58s is a auto fold all day preflop
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 PM

nevermind - thought it was an unraised pot.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Hand 1 - fold preflop. You can do it.

Hand 2 - when you are raising to 1/3 of the guy's stack - he will either fold, push, or call and push the flop. So ESSENTIALLY you should have a hand that's ready to play for 3,600 chips. A4s is NOT it. If you MUST steal the blinds - min-raise and fold to a re-raise. Do the same in this spot with 27o too, because your A4s is not much better than 27o, and may be worse because it'll be dominated fairly often.

General tip - THINK about how you sizing your bet, what's your opponent's stack, your stack, what the pot size will be after your raise and his push... If you are going to be priced in and are going to call anyway - raise to that amount YOURSELF, maximize your FE. The rule of thumb here is "Bet what you're willing to call".
Old 08-23-2006, 03:06 PM

First hand, where are you sitting? If you're not in the BB, fold this PF. And even if you are in the BB, you're looking to hit a monster flop to continue, or at least one with a nice draw. I don't think this qualifies. If you truly believe your opponent has an overpair, then you are drawing to a maximum of 5 outs with a backdoor, non-nut flush draw. Grim.

Second hand, you got into this situation by betting an awkward amount preflop into this guy's stack. Either bet more with the intention of getting it all-in if he pushes (since the pot odds will be undeniable at that point), or you could always mini-raise a really tight player, with the intention of dumping the hand if he pushes.

--- A couple of responses snuck in while I was responding thanks to a phone call. The "general tip" is great advice. Read it again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--TFGoose

edit: for grammar because I can't proofread
Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 PM

unless you are in the bb in hand one, you had no business calling in the first place. i can't figure out what position you are in since 1500 pot doesn't add up if you checked.

second hand, i would have raised more pf since you are priced in to call a push by him. i want him to know i am going to have to call. and yes, you do haveto call for those odds.
how many chips did the sb have?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you are in the bb in hand one, you had no business calling in the first place. i can't figure out what position you are in since 1500 pot doesn't add up if you checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's an SB (600+600+300) = 1,500
Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM

good call. i actually am very good at math, not sure how i blew that.
yep, i fold.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:43 PM

Wow...thanks for the quick and clear responses, guys. It was nice to get some real feedback without any BS.

Not coincidentally, IMO, I made my first FT in an online MTT in a while lastnight. Not a huge cash, but a good confidence builder for me. I've been killing live MTTs and getting killed in online MTTs, so it was nice to have a good result.

Again, thanks for the help. The feedback really is appreciated.