Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 PM

Default A pipe of port or a barrel of Scotch for my son?

From The Wine Spectator

[ QUOTE ]
It was traditional in Victorian times to cellar a "pipe of Port" for your children. The term comes from the Portuguese word for barrel, pipa. A pipe is a large, lengthy barrel with tapered ends, and the sizes vary quite a bit—I've seen anywhere from 350 to over 600 liters. It seems the average pipe of Port is 550 liters (about 145 gallons). If your friend has six cases, that's 54 liters, or about a tenth of a pipe. Still, it's a sweet act. You can see why that tradition has faded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a son on the way, and I think that's an awesome idea. I also like the idea of aging some Scotch. "Happy 21st, son, here's a barrel of 21-yr Glenmorangie, aged in madeira casks" would be an awesome thing to say.

I don't have anywhere to cellar things myself, and I'll probably be looking at somewhat less than a whole pipe/barrel.

xadrez linked me to Bruichladdich , Kilchoman, and Tuthilltown.

It looks like a lot of distilleries won't ship directly to US customers because of customs regulations. That kinda sucks, but I'd be willing to take the kid to Scotland to pick this up for his 21st if required.

So, has anyone here done anything similar? Any advice about what to buy, where to buy it, etc.?

Thanks in advance, OOT!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: A pipe of port or a barrel of Scotch for my son?

I think scotch would be something he could more easily share with his buddies and they would all appreciate more.

Really awesome idea! Any idea of what you expect to pay for this sort of thing?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think scotch would be something he could more easily share with his buddies and they would all appreciate more.

Really awesome idea! Any idea of what you expect to pay for this sort of thing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure exactly how much I'll end up paying. Tuthilltown's website implies that I can buy pretty much whatever quantity I want, and I'm hoping that other places will be similar. I've never had any Tuthilltown whiskey, so I'd rather go with a distillery that I know something about.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:05 PM

This is a pretty cool tradition, but buying wine is way more practical. You can buy a mini climate controlled wine case that will age it well, then buy a few nice bottles of well known wines that age well. After 21 years you can drink one and sell the rest since they appreciate very well.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty cool tradition, but buying wine is way more practical. You can buy a mini climate controlled wine case that will age it well, then buy a few nice bottles of well known wines that age well. After 21 years you can drink one and sell the rest since they appreciate very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say a 21 year old is most likely to appreciate wine than scotch.

both are cool gifts though.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:11 PM

I vote the port, mainly because I think he won't appreciate aged Scotch at 21, and will instead just down it with his buddies in a drunken weekend of boozing.

Port, its kind of hard to do that with...

Ray
Old 08-14-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about wine, though, so I'd be going totally on recommendations. MrMon suggested this:

[ QUOTE ]
If I had the money, I like this 2005 Bordeaux future. Terrific wine, your kid could keep it for a lifetime.

PONTET CANET 05 FUTURE
Bordeaux-Pauillac Score: WA 94-96 WS 95-100

"Absolutely spectacular, Pontet-Canet’s 2005 receives the full attention of dedicated proprietor Alfred Tesseron. Produced from yields of 35 hectoliters per hectare (25% less wine than in 2004), it is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Merlot. The first vintage vinified in tiny cement cuves with pigeage for some lots, this wine will have 40-50 years of longevity, and should turn out to be the greatest Pontet-Canet since such ancient classics as 1961, 1945, and 1929. It boasts an inky/purple color as well as pure creme de cassis aromas, first-growth nobility and raciness, massive body, tannin, and extract, and a finish that lasts nearly a minute. With extraordinary purity and density, it is unapproachable at present, and is best cellared until 2012, and drunk over the following 50 years." Robert Parker
"Glorious aromas of currants, blackberries and cherries with hints of vanilla and cedar. Full-bodied, with exuberant fruit. Velvety tannins. Soft and round mouthfeel. This is supercharged with fruit. Wonderful purity of Cabernet Sauvignon. Very low yields this year. Best ever from here?" James Suckling

I've seen it as low as $75/btl, which is a lot of money, but as I said, if I had the cash, I'd do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2006, 03:43 PM

p,

I think this is a great idea and also think that scotch is better than wine because it can be shared and appreciated for a long, long time.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:18 PM

El D,

Have you tried any of the distilleries mentioned in this thread?

I'm also leaning strongly towards Scotch. I thought good wines and good Scotches both lasted for a long, long time, though.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:19 PM

A good wine will normally age to a certain point and then not really get any better or actually deteriorate. This is not the case with scotch.