Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 PM

Default put him on a hand, please (200NL)

CO is 17/4/2 over 575 hands, I had thought he was reasonable postflop. The rest of the table is too loose and too passive.

Effective stacks: $198

Preflop: MP and CO limp, I call in SB w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB checks.

Flop ($8): Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check (planning to raise), it checks around.

Turn ($8): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet $6, folded to CO who raises to $12, I re-raise to $56, he pushes to make it $194????

I regret my flop check. Should I have just bet out for $8 or something?

Turn: in general, is re-raising spots like this bad? After he pushes I'm really confused. I can't really put him on a hand, but I can't really call either...
Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: put him on a hand, please (200NL)

Could be slow playing from CO on the flop but that is unlikely given the FD out there. It really looks like the 5 helped him. I'll put my money on him having 55 or 67s and fold.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:52 PM

I like your plan to check-raise the flop. We are too deep for a bet-3-bet line. I flat call CO's raise on the turn and try to hit on the river, probably check/folding if unimproved.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put my money on him having 55 or 67s and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. also, I think a fold is in order even if his range is a little bigger than this.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM

I would lead the flop for 6-8.

Villain looks to be a nit, so he could very well have a 55 or 76 here. I'm not sure I like the 3bet on the turn - what are you hoping to get him to fold? I don't think Axs is a large part of his range here - I just can't see this villain minraising a FD on the turn - so that would make him likely to be only raising with a hand that can stand up to your 3bet.

I'm folding to the push.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM

I'd say he has either mid-bottom pair plus an over with a draw, or he's been slow playing pocket queens (unlikely). But he did limp into the pot, so he could even have a 6h7h.

It's hard to put him on a hand with the information that you've gotten in this hand. Your re-raise was a mistake in my opinion, especially such a large one.

I think it would be time for a laydown because of a made straight, two pair, or a higher flush draw. Middle pair with a flush draw with one to come is suicidal.

Follow [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2006, 12:59 PM

first off, the fact that he limps from late position obv removes AQ, maybe even KQ, from the equation (i feel position alone is enough to raise KQ here if playing it at all). Check behind on a suited board with a possible straight draw tells me the villain is not sitting on a made hand after the flop. Min raising your turn bet is a red flag to me. Nobody min raises to make you fold. I think its probably the villain has made his set or straight and you saw weakness in his minraise exactly as he wanted you to. my money is on 5 5 or 67 suited, although i suppose A 8 or A 5 hearts is not out of the question. My line would be flat call turn raise and re-eval river. If you dont improve and he doesnt back down i c/f rive. Anything small enough to call here is probably a value bet.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 PM

A few qualms. First off, I rarely ever check raise with this as it is a limped pot, and there is no guarantee that someone is going to bet. The only time that I will check raise in multiway limped pot is when I have a vulnerable but strong hand such as bottom two and I want to either make the pot big on the flop, or wait until the turn to press a bigger edge if it gets checked through. The second thing that I hate is the 3 bet on the turn. When a 17/4 minraises me, I immediately think that he wants action, and I think calling is the play on the turn. As far as putting him on a hand, I agree with the poster above who said that the 5 helped him.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:02 PM

I don't like the turn reraise.

joseki, what is your go rank?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Flop I can either see leading, c/c or c/r all being OK, so ghe check is fine IMO

Turn lead is good given flop action. But you gotta just call the minraise....3betting is bad IMO. After he pushes, he has 55/67 most the time